Top tourist attractions in Netherlands
Here is a list of top tourist attractions in Netherlands. Only the topmost tourist destinations are presented here. To see other destinations, please check the images from Netherlands section.
Curious if any of these place from Netherlands made it our best tourist attractions in the world list? Read the aformentioned article in order to find out.
You can also view all tourist attractions in Netherlands and other countries on our tourist attractions map.
The Rijksmuseum is a Dutch national museum dedicated to arts and history in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. The museum is located at the Museum Square in the borough Amsterdam South, close to the Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, and the Concertgebouw. The Rijksmuseum was founded in The Hague in 1800 and moved to Amsterdam in 1808, where it was first located in the Royal Palace and later in the Trippenhuis. The current main building was designed by Pierre Cuypers and was originally opened in 1885, but was closed for renovation from 2003 to 2013. On 13 April 2013, the main building was reopened by Queen Beatrix after the ten-year renovation which cost € 375 million. The museum has on display 8,000 objects of art and history, from their total collection of 1 million objects from the years 1200–2000, among which are some masterpieces by Rembrandt, Frans Hals, and Johannes Vermeer. The museum also has a small Asian collection which is on display in the Asian Pavilion.
Efteling is the largest theme park in the Netherlands and one of the oldest theme parks in the world. Efteling is located in the town of Kaatsheuvel, in the municipality of Loon op Zand. It has received over 100 million visitors. Since its opening in 1952, the park has evolved from a nature park with a playground and a Fairy Tale Forest into a full-sized theme park. Efteling now caters to both children and adults with its cultural, romantic and nostalgic themes and its variety of amusement rides. It is twice as large as the original Disneyland park in California and predates it by three years. The park is fantasy-themed; its attractions are based on elements from ancient myths and legends, fairy tales, fables and folklore.
The Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam is a museum for modern art, contemporary art, and design located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. It is located at the Museum Square in the borough Amsterdam South, close to the Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum, and the Concertgebouw. The collection comprises modern and contemporary art and design from the early 20th century up to the 21st century. It features artists such as Vincent van Gogh, Wassily Kandinsky, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Marc Chagall, Henri Matisse, Jackson Pollock, Karel Appel, Andy Warhol, Willem de Kooning, Marlene Dumas, Lucio Fontana, and Gilbert & George.
Walibi Holland is a theme park in Biddinghuizen, Netherlands. Attractions include the Speed of Sound, El Condor, Xpress, Goliath and Robin Hood roller coasters.
Anne Frank House
The Anne Frank House located on the Prinsengracht canal in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, is a museum dedicated to Jewish wartime diarist Anne Frank, who hid from Nazi persecution with her family and four other people in hidden rooms at the rear of the building. As well as the preservation of the hiding place — known in Dutch as the Achterhuis — and an exhibition on the life and times of Anne Frank, the museum acts as an exhibition space to highlight all forms of persecution and discrimination. It opened on 3 May 1960 with the aid of public subscription, three years after a foundation was established to protect the property from developers who wanted to demolish the block.
Diergaarde Blijdorp is a zoo in the northwestern part of Rotterdam, one of the oldest zoos in the Netherlands. In 2007 it celebrated its 150th anniversary. Diergaarde Blijdorp is a member of the Dutch Zoo Federation and the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria.
The Kröller-Müller Museum is an art museum and sculpture garden, located in the Hoge Veluwe National Park in Otterlo in the Netherlands.
Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
The Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen is the main art museum in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The museum began in 1847 with the collection of Frans Jacob Otto Boijmans. Much of the museum's original collection was destroyed in a disastrous 1864 fire. In 1958, the collection of businessman Daniël George van Beuningen was added to the museum, and the museum acquired its current name.
Artis, short for Natura Artis Magistra, is a zoo in the centre of Amsterdam. It is the oldest zoo in the Netherlands. In addition to the zoo, Artis has an aquarium, a planetarium, a geological museum, and a zoological museum. The zoo is a member of the Dutch Zoo Federation, the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, the International Species Information System, and the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
Keukenhof, also known as the Garden of Europe, is the world's largest flower garden. It is situated near Lisse, the Netherlands. According to the official website for the Keukenhof Park, approximately 7,000,000 flower bulbs are planted annually in the park, which covers an area of 32 hectares. Keukenhof is located in South Holland in the small town of Lisse, south of Haarlem and southwest of Amsterdam. It is accessible by bus from the train stations of Haarlem, Leiden and Schiphol. It is located in an area called the "Dune and Bulb Region". Keukenhof is open annually from mid-March to mid-May. The best time to view the tulips is around mid-April, depending on the weather.
Het Loo Palace
Het Loo Palace is a palace in Apeldoorn, Netherlands. The symmetrical Dutch Baroque building was designed by Jacob Roman and Johan van Swieten and was built between 1684 and 1686 for stadtholder-king William III and Mary II of England. The garden was designed by Claude Desgotz. The palace was a residence of the House of Orange-Nassau from the 17th century until the death of Queen Wilhelmina in 1962. The building was renovated between 1976 and 1982. Since 1984, the palace is a state museum open for the general public, showing interiors with original furniture, objects and paintings of the House of Orange-Nassau.
Natural history Museum
Naturalis Biodiversity Center is a national museum of natural history and a research center on biodiversity in Leiden, Netherlands.
The Mauritshuis is a major pictorial art museum in The Hague, the Netherlands, housing the Royal Cabinet of Paintings. Previously the residence of count John Maurice of Nassau, it now has a large art collection, including paintings by Dutch painters such as Johannes Vermeer, Rembrandt van Rijn, Jan Steen, Paulus Potter and Frans Hals and works of the German painter Hans Holbein the Younger. The Mauritshuis is currently closed due to renovations. Approximately 100 of its paintings are displayed in the Gemeentemuseum in The Masters From the Mauritshuis exhibition. Approximately 50 other paintings, including The Girl With the Pearl Earring, are on loan to exhibitions in the US and Japan. Renovations are scheduled to be completed in mid-2014.
Teylers Museum is an art, natural history, and science museum in Haarlem, Netherlands. Established in 1778, Teylers Museum was originally founded as a centre for contemporary art and science. The historic centre of the museum is the neoclassical Oval Room, which was built behind the house of Pieter Teyler van der Hulst, the so-called Fundatiehuis. Pieter Teyler was a wealthy cloth merchant and banker of Scottish descent, who bequeathed his fortune for the advancement of religion, art, and science. He was a Mennonite and follower of the Scottish Enlightenment.
Gemeentemuseum Den Haag
The Gemeentemuseum Den Haag is an art museum in The Hague in the Netherlands. The museum, built 1931–1935, was designed by the Dutch architect H.P. Berlage. It is renowned for its large Mondrian collection, the largest in the world. His last work, Victory Boogie-Woogie, is on display here. GEM and Fotomuseum Den Haag are part of the Gemeentemuseum, though not housed in the same building and with a separate entrance fee.
The Tropenmuseum is an anthropological museum located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and established in 1864. One of the largest museums in Amsterdam, the museum accommodates eight permanent exhibitions and an ongoing series of temporary exhibitions, including both modern and traditional visual arts and photographic works. The Tropenmuseum is owned and operated by the Royal Tropical Institute, a foundation that sponsors the study of tropical cultures around the world. The museum had 176,000 visitors in 2009.
Frans Hals Museum
The Frans Hals Museum is a hofje and municipal museum in Haarlem, Netherlands, that was established in 1862. In 1950, the museum was split in two locations when the collection of modern art was moved to the Museum De Hallen. The main collection, including its famous 17th-century Frans Hals paintings, for which the museum is named, is located in the former Oude Mannenhuis on the Groot Heiligland. The museum was originally founded in 1862 in the newly renovated former Dominican church cloisters located in the back of the Haarlem city hall known as the Prinsenhof, and when it needed more space, it moved to the recently vacated location of the town orphanage in 1913. The collection is based on the large number of paintings owned by the City of Haarlem, which includes art seized from Catholic churches in the 1580s after the Protestant Reformation, but also interesting Haarlem art rescued from demolished local buildings from the 15th century onwards.
Museum Boerhaave is a museum of the history of science and medicine, based in Leiden, the Netherlands. The museum hosts a collection of historical scientific instruments from all disciplines, but mainly from medicine, physics, and astronomy. The museum is located in a building that was originally a convent in central Leiden. It includes a reconstructed traditional anatomical theatre. It also has many galleries that include the apparatus with which Heike Kamerlingh Onnes first liquefied helium, the electromagnet equipment used by Wander Johannes de Haas for his low-temperature research, and an example of the Leiden jar, among many other objects in the extensive collection. The museum is named after Herman Boerhaave, a Dutch physician and botanist who was famous in Europe for his teaching at Leiden and lived to a great age, receiving brilliant students from all over Europe, including Peter the Great, Voltaire and Linnaeus.
Hoge Veluwe National Park
Nationaal Park De Hoge Veluwe is a Dutch national park in the province of Gelderland near the cities of Ede, Wageningen, Arnhem and Apeldoorn. It is approximately 55 square kilometers in area, consisting of heathlands, sand dunes, and woodlands. It is situated in the Veluwe, the area of the largest terminal moraine in the Netherlands. Most of the landscape of the park and the Veluwe was created during the last Ice Age. The alternating sand dune areas and heathlands may have been caused by human utilization of the surrounding lands. The park forms one of the largest continuous nature reserves in the Netherlands.
The National Maritime Museum
The National Maritime Museum is a maritime museum in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. The museum is housed in a former naval storehouse, 's Lands Zeemagazijn or Admiraliteits Magazijn, designed by the Dutch architect Daniël Stalpaert and constructed in 1656. The museum moved to this building in 1973. The museum is dedicated to maritime history and contains many artifacts associated with shipping and sailing. The collection contains, among other things, paintings, scale models, weapons and world maps. The paintings depict Dutch naval officers such as Michiel de Ruyter and impressive historical sea battles. The map collection includes works by famed 17th-century cartographers Willem Blaeu and his son Joan Blaeu. The museum also has a surviving copy of the first edition of Maximilian Transylvanus' work, De Moluccis Insulis, the first to describe Ferdinand Magellan's voyage around the world. Moored outside the museum is a replica of the Amsterdam, an 18th-century ship which sailed between the Netherlands and the East Indies. The replica was built in the years 1985-1990. After an extensive renovation in 2007-2011, Het Scheepvaartmuseum reopened on October 2nd 2011.
The Amsterdam Museum, until 2011 called the Amsterdams Historisch Museum, is a museum about the history of Amsterdam. Since 1975, it is located in the old city orphanage between Kalverstraat and Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.
The Nationaal Luchtvaart-Themapark Aviodrome is a large aerospace museum in the Netherlands that has been located on Lelystad Airport since 2003. Previously the museum was located at Schiphol Airport.
EYE Film Institute Netherlands
EYE Film Institute Netherlands is located in the Overhoeks neighborhood of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It includes a cinematography museum formerly called Filmmuseum, founded in 1952. Its predecessor was the Dutch Historic Film Archive, founded in 1946. The museum was situated in the Vondelparkpaviljoen since 1975, and in 2009, plans were announced for a new home for the museum on the northern bank of Amsterdam's waterfront. It was officially opened on April 4, 2012 by Queen Beatrix.
The Bonnefanten Museum is a museum of fine art in Maastricht, Netherlands.
Apenheul Primate Park
Apenheul Primate Park is a zoo in Apeldoorn, Netherlands. It specializes in apes and monkeys. It opened in 1971 and was the first zoo in the world where monkeys could walk around freely in the forest and between the visitors. It started with just a few species, now it displays more than 30 different primates, among them bonobo, gorilla and orangutan. In summer 2011, three adult male proboscis monkeys joined the collection from Singapore Zoo to commemorate the zoo's fortieth anniversary. Two remain in Apenheul and are the only living specimens outside Southeast Asia.
Duinrell is an amusement park situated in Wassenaar, Netherlands. It also contains a caravan park and a camp-site. Duinrell has been critically acclaimed for its attraction park with swimming pool, which has the longest waterslides in the Netherlands. The park is located on the estate of the counts Van Zuylen van Nijevelt.
The Groninger Museum is a museum of modern and contemporary art in Groningen, Netherlands.
Safaripark Beekse Bergen
Safaripark Beekse Bergen is the largest wildlife zoo of the Benelux region and provides a home to approximately 1,250 animals from over 150 species, varying from small mammals to large birds. It is located between the cities of Tilburg and Hilvarenbeek in the south of the Netherlands, in province of North-Brabant. The visitors can for instance watch zebras and giraffes on the spacious savannahs. Safaripark Beekse Bergen offers te possibility to explore the park on numerous safaris: walksafari, carsafari, bussafari and boatsafari. The park is owned by the company Libéma Exploitatie BV, which is one of the largest leisure-related companies in the Netherlands. What makes the park so special is that visitors can explore the park with their own car, without a fence in between the visitor and the animals. While driving through the park people can for instance encounter leopards and zebras or get their car 'washed' by a giraffe. In this way the visitor can imagine that they are really taking a safari in Africa. Visitors can also choose to follow the same route per bus. In this way they will get to know more information about the animals, since they will be joined by a Ranger. Besides these two ways of exploring the park, the visitor can also choose to take a boat, that leaves at two piers in the park. The visitors can also watch the animals by foot on the approximately 5 kilometres of roads throughout the park.
Euromast is an observation tower in Rotterdam, Netherlands, designed by Hugh Maaskant constructed between 1958 and 1960. It was specially built for the 1960 Floriade, and is a listed monument since 2010. The tower is a concrete structure with an internal diameter of 9 m and a wall thickness of 30 cm. For stability it is built on a concrete block of 1,900,000 kg so that the centre of gravity is below ground. It has a "crow's nest" observation platform 96 m above-ground and a restaurant. Originally 101 m in height it was the tallest building in Rotterdam. It lost this position for a while, but regained it when the Space Tower was added to the top of the building in 1970, giving an additional 85 m. Euromast is a member of the World Federation of Great Towers.
The 800 year old Oude Kerk is Amsterdam’s oldest building and oldest parish church, founded ca. 1213 and finally consecrated in 1306 by the bishop of Utrecht with Saint Nicolas as its patron saint. After the Reformation in 1578 it became a Calvinist church, which it remains today. It stands in De Wallen, now Amsterdam's main red-light district. The square surrounding the church is the Oudekerksplein.
The Kunsthal [kʏnstɦɑl] is a museum in Rotterdam, which opened its doors in 1992. The museum is situated in the Museumpark of Rotterdam next to the Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam, and in the vicinity of the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen. Entrance to the Kunsthal is from the Westzeedijk. The building was designed by the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas. The Kunsthal has no permanent collection, but organises a wide range of temporary exhibits. The large space available 3,300 m² allows various exhibits in parallel. The range of exhibitions presented at the Kunsthal ranges from 20th century masters to current contemporary art movements. Recently the museum had exhibitions featuring artists such as Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and Arne Quinze.
Hermitage Amsterdam is a branch museum of the Hermitage Museum of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on the banks of the Amstel river in Amsterdam. The museum is located in the former Amstelhof, a classical style building from 1681. The dependency displayed small exhibitions in the adjacent Neerlandia Building from 24 February 2004 until the main museum opened on 19 June 2009. It is currently the largest satellite of the Hermitage Museum, with a total area of 12,846 m² and fits with the museum's plan to make its collections accessible to more people. The exhibition area covers 2,172 m² and is contained within two large exhibition halls and smaller exhibition rooms. The remaining space holds lecture halls, offices and staff accommodations and a restaurant.
Grote Kerk, Haarlem
The Grote Kerk or St.-Bavokerk is a Protestant church and former Catholic cathedral located on the central market square in the Dutch city of Haarlem. Another Haarlem church called the Cathedral of Saint Bavo now serves as the main cathedral for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Haarlem-Amsterdam.
Dierenpark Emmen is a large zoo located in Emmen in the northern province of Drenthe in the Netherlands.
The Railway Museum in Utrecht is the Dutch national railway museum. It was established in 1927 and since 1954 has been housed in the "Maliebaan station", a former railway station.
Castle Loevestein is a medieval castle built by the knight Dirc Loef van Horne between 1357 and 1397. Until the Second World War Loevestein Castle was part of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie, the main Dutch defense line that was based on flooding an area of land south and east of the western provinces. Currently the castle is used as a medieval museum and function centre.
Joods Historisch Museum
The Joods Historisch Museum, part of the Jewish Cultural Quarter, is a museum in Amsterdam dedicated to Jewish history, culture and religion, in the Netherlands and worldwide. It is the only museum in the Netherlands dedicated to Jewish history. A seven-year renovation of the museum was recently completed. The museum was recognized in 1989 when it received the Council of Europe Museum Prize, awarded for a combination of the presentation of the collection and the outward appearance of the buildings. The Joods Historisch Museum opened its doors on February 24, 1932 and was inititally housed at the Waag on Nieuwmarkt square. Following the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands in World War II, the museum was forced to close and much of the collection was lost. The museum reopened its doors in 1955. In 1987, it moved to a new location, occupying four former synagogues on Jonas Daniël Meijerplein square, across the road from the Snoge or Portuguese Synagogue. The museum's collection includes some 11,000 art objects, ceremonial objects and historical objects, only some five percent of which is on display at any one time. It has two permanent exhibitions as well as regularly changing temporary exhibitions. The exhibition on the ground floor focuses on Jewish traditions and customs. The presentation is inspired by the former interior of the synagogue. Ceremonial objects from the museum collection are shown in locations where they used to be placed in the synagogue. This gives visitors a sense of the surroundings in which they find themselves and enables them to taste the original synagogue atmosphere.
Van Abbemuseum is a museum of modern and contemporary art located in central Eindhoven, Netherlands, on the east bank of the Dommel river. Established in 1936, the Abbe Museum is named after its founder, Henri van Abbe. Van Abbe was a lover of modern art and wanted to enjoy it there from Eindhoven. As of 2010, the collection of the museum houses more than 2700 works of art, of which about 1000 are on paper, are 700 paintings, and 1000 are sculptures, installations and video work. With an area of 9,825 m², monument number 507030, the museum holds one of the largest collections of paintings in the world by El Lissitzky. It also has works by Pablo Picasso and Wassily Kandinsky.
The Heineken Experience, located in Amsterdam, is a historic brewery and corporate visitor center for the internationally distributed Dutch pilsner, Heineken beer. The industrial facility was built as the first Heineken brewery in 1867, serving as the company's primary brewing facility until 1988 when a more modern, larger facility was constructed on the outskirts of the city.
Netherlands Open Air Museum
The Netherlands Open Air Museum is an open air museum and park located near Arnhem with antique houses, farms and factories from different parts of the Netherlands. The Netherlands Open Air Museum is a national museum focusing on the culture associated with the everyday lives of ordinary people.
The Jordaan is a district of the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. The area is bordered by the Lijnbaansgracht canal to the west, the Prinsengracht to the east, the Brouwersgracht to the north and the Leidsegracht to the south. The former canal Rozengracht is the main traffic artery through the neighbourhood. Originally a working-class neighbourhood, the Jordaan has become one of the most expensive, upscale locations in the Netherlands. It is home to many art galleries, particularly for modern art, and is also dotted with speciality shops and restaurants. Markets are held regularly at Noordermarkt, the Westerstraat and Lindengracht. Rembrandt spent the last years of his life in the Jordaan, on the Rozengracht canal. He was buried in the Westerkerk church, at the corner of Rozengracht and Prinsengracht, just beyond the Jordaan. The Anne Frank House, where Anne Frank went into hiding during World War II, is located on the edge of the Jordaan, on the Prinsengracht canal.
The Muiderslot is a castle in the Netherlands, located at the mouth of the river Vecht, some 15 kilometers southeast of Amsterdam, in Muiden, where it flows into what used to be the Zuiderzee. It's one of the better known castles in the Netherlands and has been featured in many television shows set in the Middle Ages.
The Centraal Museum is a museum in Utrecht, The Netherlands. The museum was founded in 1838. Initially, the collection - exhibited on the top floor of the Utrecht townhall - was limited to art related to the city of Utrecht. In 1921 the collection merged with various private collections in the new 'centralised museum' located in the former medieval monastery at the Nicolaaskerkhof. Currently, the collection comprises pre-1850 art, modern art, applied art, fashion and the city history of Utrecht.
DierenPark Amersfoort is a 19-hectare zoo located on the West side of Amersfoort, in the province of province of Utrecht, on the edge of the bunch area Birkhoven, in the Netherlands.
The Effenaar is a pop music venue in Eindhoven, Netherlands. It was founded in 1971 and has grown into one of the larger pop venues in the country. The current Effenaar consists of two music halls. The large hall has an audience capacity of 1500, is intended for use by larger bands and acts and is considerably larger than the hall of the original Effenaar. The small hall has a capacity of 350 and is used for smaller and/or regional bands. The old Effenaar has hosted many large acts throughout its existence, including The Ramones, The Cure, Joy Division, Sex Pistols, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M., Fugazi and Queens of the Stone Age.
The Zuiderzeemuseum is a museum located on the Wierdijk in Enkhuizen, Netherlands devoted to preserving Enkhuizen's cultural heritage as well as the maritime history of the Zuiderzee, and since 1932, the IJsselmeer. Open year-round, it consists of an "inside" and an "outside" museum, though the "outside" museum is only open in the summer.
National Museum of Ethnology
The National Museum of Ethnology is a museum about ethnology in the Netherlands is located in the university city of Leiden.
The Begijnhof is one of the oldest inner courts in the city of Amsterdam. A group of historic buildings, mostly private dwellings, centre on it. As the name suggests, it was originally a Béguinage. Today it is also the site of the English Reformed Church.
Huis Doorn is a small manor house near the town of Doorn in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. German Emperor Wilhelm II lived in exile at the house from 1920 until his death in 1941. It is now a historic house museum.
Rijksmuseum van Oudheden
The Rijksmuseum van Oudheden is the national archaeological museum of the Netherlands. It is located in Leiden. The Museum grew out of the collection of Leiden University and still closely co-operates with its Faculty of Archaeology. The museum calls itself the national center for archaeology, and focuses on ancient Egypt, the ancient Near East, the classical world of Greece, Etruria and Rome and the early Netherlands.
Allard Pierson Museum
The Allard Pierson Museum is the archaeological museum of the University of Amsterdam. It is situated at the Oude Turfmarkt 127 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Artifacts from the ancient civilizations of ancient Egypt, the Near East, the Greek World, Etruria, and the Roman Empire are curated and exhibited in this museum.
Themepark & Resort Slagharen
BestZOO is a small zoo in Best, North Brabant, Netherlands. It opened in 1930 as Vleut the Zoo, and was owned and operated by the van Laarhoven family until purchased by Zodiac Zoos in 2007. Zodiac Zoos upgraded many of the old exhibits to more naturalistic settings, but sold the to Jos Nooren in 2010 before all upgrades were completed. The zoo participates in several European Association of Zoos and Aquaria European Endangered Species Programmes programs, including Edwards's pheasant, Pied Vari, Colombian spider monkey and Sri Lanka panther.
Museum of Bags and Purses
The Museum of Bags and Purses, located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, is a museum devoted to historic handbags, purses and suitcases. The museum's collection includes 4,000 items dating back to the 16th century. One of only three museums across the globe specializing in the field, and its collection is the world's largest. While the majority of visitors to the museum are women, the most valuable item on exhibit is a sixteenth-century men's goat-skin belt pouch with iron clasps.
Netherlands Architecture Institute
The Netherlands Architecture Institute is a cultural institute for architecture and urban development, comprising a museum, an archive plus library, and a platform for lectures and debates. The NAI was established in 1988 and has been based in Rotterdam since 1993. The NAI is a private organisation with a government brief, which is to manage the collection of archives that document the history of Dutch architecture. Moreover, as a sector institute for architecture it is also tasked with supporting the professional field. The building also houses a bookshop and a cafe.
Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen is a canal-side mansion in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. This patrician mansion, close to the Rembrandtplein, was built for Albert Geelvinck and Sara Hinlopen, then in an attractive and new laid-out section of the city towards the Amstel. In the year 1687 the couple moved into this double wide house, with storage rooms in the cellar, under the attic and in the warehouse on Keizersgracht 633, now the entrance.
Museum Speelklok is a museum in Utrecht, The Netherlands. It has a collection of automatically playing musical instruments, most of which still work and therefore still can play their music. Among the instruments on display are music boxes, musical clocks, pianolas, barrel organs and a turret clock with carillon. The word speelklok means musical clock. Over the years the museum has become popular nationwide and also internationally. The museum's restoration workshops are a leader in their field, and are known for their excellent standards.
The Escher Museum is a museum in The Hague, Netherlands, featuring the works of the Dutch graphical artist M. C. Escher. This museum opened on 15 November 2002. The museum is housed in a former palace dating from the eighteenth century. Queen Emma bought the stately house in 1896. She used it as a winter palace from March 1901 till her death in March 1934. Four Dutch Queens used the palace for their business offices, till Queen Beatrix moved the office to Paleis Noordeinde, about 10 minutes walk from Escher in Het Paleis. In all the former 'Royal Rooms' first and second floor there are window shades with information about the interior in Emma's time. There are two rooms dedicated to Emma's period and often there are photo enlargements or other information about Queen Mother Emma on display besides the never-ending Escher exhibition. The museum features a permanent display of a large number of woodcuts and lithographs by Escher, among them the world famous prints Air and Water; Belvedere; Waterfall; Drawing. Escher in Het Paleis shows the early lovely Italian landscapes, the many mirror prints and a choice from the tesselation drawings, further the three versions of the Metamorphosis, from the first small one to the third of 7 meters. This one is shown in a circle. It underlines the new vision of the museum on the work of M.C. Escher.
The Cobra Museum is an art museum in Amstelveen, Netherlands. The collection of the museum consists of key works by artists of the Vrij Beelden, Cobra, and Creatie movements.
The Museum Catharijneconvent is a national museum of religious art in Utrecht. It is located in the former Catharijneconvent, having been sited there since 1979. Its collections include those of the museum of religious art of the Catholic Archbishopric of Utrecht, located in the convent until 1979. In 2006 the Convent closed for restoration. It is part of the Utrecht Museum Night.
Beelden aan Zee
Beelden aan Zee museum in the Scheveningen district of The Hague, founded in 1994 by the sculpture collectors Theo and Lida Scholten, is the only Dutch museum which specializes in exhibiting sculpture. The museum shows contemporary international and national sculpture. The curators organize new exhibitions three or more times per year in its large circular main space. Exhibitions are created on themes such as the 2010 exhibitions, "Unwanted Land" exhibition by 6 contemporary artists or the "Fathers and Sons" show, or exhibitions around a particular artist. The museum features works by Karel Appel, Wim Quist, Man Ray, and Fritz Koenig. The mission of the museum is to use a mix of forms and materials in the works express "the human experience." Since 2004, the museum building also houses the Sculptuur Instituut, a research institute on contemporary sculpture. The institute library is accessible during museum opening hours.
Museum Van Loon
Museum Van Loon is museum, located in a canalside house alongside the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The museum is named after the family Van Loon that lived in the house from the 19th century.
The Wereldmuseum Rotterdam is an ethnographic museum, situated Willemskade in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The museum was founded in 1883 and shows more than 1800 ethnographic objects from various cultures in Asia, Oceania, Africa, the Americas and the Islamic heritage.
The Valkhof museum is an archaeology and art museum in Nijmegen, Netherlands. The museum has existed since 1999, created as a merger between the G.M. Kam museum of archaeology and the Commanderie van St. Jan museum of classical and modern art. The museum's collection includes a large and important collection of local Roman archaeological finds and art. The Museum stands on the edge of the Valkhof park, site of a Roman army camp and a citadel built by Charlemagne. The museum's building was designed by Dutch architect Ben van Berkel and was opened on 14 September 1999 by Queen Beatrix. In November 2008, the official name of the museum was changed to Valkhof-Kam. This reflected an agreement reached with the heirs of G.M. Kam.
The Bijbels Museum is a museum on the Herengracht in Amsterdam housing a collection of Bibles and other religious objects from the Judeo-Christian tradition, including the oldest Bible printed in the Netherlands and a first edition of the 1637 Dutch Authorised Version. There is also a facsimile copy of a Dead Sea scroll from Qumran containing the Book of Isaiah.
Overloon War Museum
The National War and Resistance Museum of the Netherlands is located at Overloon, municipality Boxmeer. The museum is located on the site of the Battle of Overloon, a World War II tank and infantry battle between Allied and German forces that occurred in September and October 1944, in the aftermath of Operation Market Garden. Set in 14 hectares of woodland, it is one of two museums in an area now designated as Liberty Park. A feature of the museum is the large number of military vehicles and equipment on display, both German and Allied. For years these have been kept in the open air, but have recently been moved indoors in order to help preserve them. Many of the exhibited vehicles took part in the Battle of Overloon. In 2006 the collection was expanded with a large number of vehicles from a private collection.
Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk
Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk is a Protestant church in Rotterdam. It is the only remnant of the medieval city of Rotterdam.
Het Dolhuys is a national museum for psychiatry in Haarlem, the Netherlands. The museum was founded in 2005 in the newly renovated former old age home known as Schoterburcht, located just across the Schotersingel from the Staten Bolwerk park. The whole complex is much older than that however, having been a hospital for centuries known as the Leproos-, Pest- en Dolhuys.
Museon is a museum for science and culture in The Hague, Netherlands. It has collections in the domains of geology, biology, archaeology, history, science and ethnology.
Museum De Cruquius
The Museum De Cruquius occupies the old Cruquius steam pumping station in Cruquius, the Netherlands. It derives its name from Nicolaas Kruik, a Dutch land-surveyor and one of many promotors of a plan to pump the Haarlemmermeer dry. Like many well-educated men of his time, he latinized his name to Nicolaus Samuel Cruquius. During his lifetime the issue of the Haarlem Lake and how to pump it dry was international news, as the following excerpt from the Virginia Gazette on 31 May 1751 illustrates: Even 50 machines proved too expensive, so it was not until successful experiments with steam pumping stations, such as at nearby Groenendaal park in 1781, that serious plans resulted in three steam-driven pumping stations, including the one at Cruquius. As a tribute to former planners, the pumping stations of the Haarlemmermeer were named after them. The one at the mouth of the Spaarne river, near Heemstede, was called Cruquius. To service the mill, the workers who lived there founded the town of the same name. The dike was built in the 1840s, the pump started work in 1850 and in the three years that had been predicted a century before, the Haarlem lake was pumped dry. The pumping station Cruquius continued to work on and off until 1933, when it was made into a museum. The foreman's house was made into a café which it still is today.
Natural History Museum Rotterdam
The Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam is a natural history museum at Museumpark in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The museum is located in the Villa Dijkzigt, dating from 1852 and extended in 1995 with a modern glazed pavilion which was designed by the Dutch architect Erick van Egeraat. Villa Dijkzigt was originally built by J. F. Metzelaar for the Van Hoboken family. The museum includes a shop and a library.
Het Schip is an apartment building in the Spaarndammerbuurt district of Amsterdam, built in the architectural style of the Amsterdam School of Expressionist architecture. It is the single most important example of this style of architecture, using the Brick Expressionism version. The building was designed by Michel de Klerk. The building vaguely resembles the outlines of a ship. Its appearance is very unconventional from all angles. Designed in 1919, the building contains 102 homes for the working class, a small meeting hall and a post office, which as of 2001 is the museum of the Amsterdam School.
The Dutch Resistance Museum is located in the Plantage neighbourhood in Amsterdam. The Dutch Resistance Museum, chosen as the best historical museum of the Netherlands, tells the story of the Dutch people in World War II. From 14 May 1940 to 5 May 1945, the Netherlands were occupied by Nazi Germany. Permanent exhibit of the museum recreates the atmosphere of the streets of Amsterdam during the German occupation of the World War II. Big photographs, old posters, objects, films and sounds from that horrible time, help to recreate the scene. The background of the Holocaust is visualized to the visitor. This is an exhibition about the everyday life during that time, but also about exceptional historical events, resistance of the population against the Nazis and heroism.
The Rijksmuseum Twenthe in Enschede, the Netherlands, was founded in 1927 by textile industry Baron Jan Bernard Van Heek. He donated his own private collection and the museum building to the government, thus making it a national museum. The museum is situated in the quarter of Roombeek, 10 minutes on foot north-east from the railway station. It has a small gift shop and a cafe, but only poor car parking facilities, so visitors are advised not to come by car. Throughout the decades, the museum has become focused on 18th-century art as well as contemporary works, with the collection of Art & Project, a former art gallery owned by Geert van Beijeren and Adriaan van Ravesteijn, as well as a large collection of animal paintings by Wilhelm Kuhnert, Carl Rungius and Bruno Liljefors. The museum also owns a large collection of 17th century and 18th century works, medieval books and religious objects, and some paintings of late 19th century Impressionists. The collection of 20th-century art is also important. One wing of the museum is used for temporary exhibitions of mostly modern art. It is the largest art museum in the east of the country. In 1996, the museum became a private organisation in the form of a foundation.
De Toneelschuur is a theater in Haarlem, Netherlands. The building has two theaters and two movie theaters. In the latter more alternative movies are shown. The name Filmschuur is often used to indicate the movie theaters. From 1998 to 2003 the current building of the theater at the Lange Begijnestraat 9 was renovated as part of the Appelaar plan. The new design of the building was made by Joost Swarte, a Dutch cartoonist, in 1996. It was the first time in the Netherlands that a building was designed by a cartoonist. Joost Swarte was assisted by Mecanoo, an architecture bureau. Before 2003 the theater was located at Smedestraat 23. The manager of the Toneelschuur is Frans Lommerse.
Dierenpark De Oliemeulen is a small zoo in Tilburg, Netherlands that describes itself as "the strangest zoo in the Netherlands". The zoo opened in an old farmhouse in 1987. It was initially just a reptile house, but was expanded in 1992 to include mammals such as monkeys and raccoons, and birds including parrots and birds of prey.
The KattenKabinet is an art museum in Amsterdam devoted to works depicting cats. The museum collection includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and other works of art by Pablo Picasso, Rembrandt, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Corneille, Sal Meijer, Théophile Steinlen, and Jože Ciuha, among others. The museum is housed in a canalside building at Herengracht 497, in the grand Gouden Bocht of this canal. The owner lives on the second floor of the building with his family. There are some cats in the museum as well. The house and the adjacent building at Herengracht 499 were built in 1667 for the patrician brothers Willem and Adriaen van Loon. Through the luck of the draw, Willem was given the house at number 497. Later, the house was inhabited by Amsterdam mayor Jan Calkoen and Amsterdam pensionary Engelbert van Berckel, among others. John Adams visited van Berckel at the house during his time as U.S. ambassador to the Dutch republic. In 1985, the building was restored, and in 1990 the museum was founded by Bob Meijer in memory of his red tomcat John Pierpont Morgan. ⁕ Inside the KattenKabinet ⁕ Restored 17th -century ceiling painting
Diamond Museum Amsterdam
The Diamond Museum Amsterdam is a museum located at the Museumplein in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The permanent collection consists of diamond jewelry and tells background information about diamonds.
Bronbeek is a former Royal palace in Arnhem, the Netherlands. It is now a museum and a home for elderly soldiers. Bronbeek was built early in the 19th century. In 1845 the Dutch King William III bought it. He donated it to the Dutch state in 1859. William wanted it to be a home for disabled KNIL soldiers. The inhabitants took their collections of 'souvenirs' with them. This turned into a museum about the Dutch East Indies. In 2004, 50 former soldiers had their home in Bronbeek.
Villa Welgelegen is a historical building in Haarlem, the Netherlands, which currently houses the offices of the provincial executives of North Holland. Located at the north end of a public park in the city, it is an example of neoclassical architecture, unusual for its style in the Netherlands.
The Haarlemmerhout is the oldest public park of the Netherlands. It lies on the south side of Haarlem, on the same old sandy sea wall that is shared by the public park Haagse Bos in The Hague and the Alkmaarderhout in Alkmaar.
The Velorama is the only bicycle museum in the Netherlands. It is located at the Waalkade in the city of Nijmegen. The museum was founded in 1981 from the private collection of G.F. Moed. In three storeys it shows about 250 exhibits from nearly two centuries. The Velorama owns a large collection of bicycle literature and also preserves the historic archive of the Dutch bicycle manufacturer Gazelle.
The Westfries Museum is a museum of regional history established in the Dutch city of Hoorn. It was opened on 10 January 1880 and has been established in a monumental building dating to 1632. This building originally belonged to the Gecommitteerde Raden van West-Friesland en het Noorderkwartier, as a part of the Staten van Holland en West-Friesland, and later became a court. Until 1932 part of the building housed the kanton's court and part its museum. The museum has an extensive collection paintings, silver objects, porcelain, historic firearms, objects of the schutterij and VOC objects. The collection is exhibited in 25 rooms, of which one is a style-room. In 1953, 15th century cellars were discovered under the building. These have been restored and now used as exhibition spaces for archaeological objects from Hoorn and its surroundings. The museum is supported by the Friends Foundation of the Westfries Museum that was set up on the initiative of the Westfries Society. On the night the museum celebrated its 125th anniversary on 10 January 2005, four people stole 21 paintings of its paintings, including a work done by Jan van Goyen in his youth, and part of the silver collection, doing damage costing in millions of Euros.
Amsterdamse Poort, Haarlem
The Amsterdamse Poort is an old city gate of Haarlem, Netherlands. It is located at the end of the old route from Amsterdam to Haarlem and the only gate left from the original twelve city gates.
Museumpark is a park in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, located between the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Westersingel, Westzeedijk and the complex of the Erasmus MC, a medical centre affiliated with the Erasmus University. The park lies on the former land of the Hoboken family, who lived in the building that is now the Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam. The park was laid out in 1927 to the design of the architect Witteveen. On the south side of the pond in the park a monument for Gerrit Jongh, director of municipal works in Rotterdam. There are several artworks in the park, so it also acts as an open air museum. There are a number of museums located in the vicinity of the park, hence the name: ⁕The Netherlands Architecture Institute ⁕Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen ⁕The Chabot Museum ⁕The Kunsthal ⁕Villa Sonneveld ⁕Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam
Museum Flehite is the historical museum of Amersfoort and Eemland in the Netherlands. The museum was founded in 1880 by the "Oudheidkundige Vereniging Flehite". In 1890, the museum moved to the first of the current three-part building on the Breestraat. Since 1976, the museum has been managed by a separate organization. The museum was closed in 2007 due to asbestos contamination and a large modernization, but the museum reopened in May 2009.
The Oceanium is a public aquarium that opened in 2001 in Diergaarde Blijdorp, a zoo in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The Oceanium lies in the expansion area of the zoo, which includes a new entrance and parking area, and was the biggest project to date for the zoo. The area around the Oceanium is home to projects depicting the Americas. The Oceanium is also home to scientific research into the conservation of coral.
Dutch Cavalry Museum
The Dutch Cavalry Museum is located in the centre of The Netherlands in the city of Amersfoort. The museum is hosted in two large buildings at the Bernhardkazerne army barracks. The collection contains small objects, like uniforms, firearms, silver, paintings, scale models, etc., and larger objects, like vehicles, armoured cars, tanks and related equipment, that were or still are in use with the cavalry of the Royal Dutch Army. The museum covers over 425 years of history, and shows the visitor the evolution of cavalry from horseback to the modern tank.
Begijnhof Chapel, Amsterdam
The Begijnhof Chapel, dedicated to Saint John and Saint Ursula, is a Roman Catholic chapel run by the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, in the St Nicholas Parish of Amsterdam. It is located in a former schuilkerk in the Begijnhof across from its original location, the English Reformed Church, Amsterdam. The Miracle of Amsterdam is commemorated yearly with a procession starting from this church.
Stedelijk Museum het Prinsenhof
Stedelijk Museum het Prinsenhof is a museum in Delft, in the province of South Holland, the Netherlands. The museum building is a 15th-century former monastery, that was used by Stadtholder William of Orange as his residence. It was also where William of Orange was murdered in 1584: bullet holes in the stone wall can still be seen today. The collection of the museum includes artefacts from Delft in the 17th century: portraits, tapestries, and handcrafted pottery and silver. There are permanent exhibitions about life in 17th century Delft and William of Orange.
Saba National Marine Park
The Saba National Marine Park encompasses the waters and sea bed encircling the Caribbean island of Saba, Kingdom of the Netherlands, from the high water mark to 200 feet deep. In total, the marine park covers approximately 5 square miles. At the time of its creation in 1987, the government passed the Marine Environment Ordinance to protect the coral reefs and other marine life within the park. The Saba Conservation Foundation manages the Saba National Marine Park, as well as the island's hyperbaric facility and natural sites on land.
Huis ter Kleef
The ruins of the Huis ter Kleef castle are located in the city gardens of Haarlem.
Keramiekmuseum Princessehof, also known as Nationaal Keramiekmuseum Princessehof, is a museum in Leeuwarden, Friesland, NL.
Van Gogh Museum Rietveld Building
Van Gogh Museum Kurokawa Wing