Top tourist attractions in Greece
Here is a list of top tourist attractions in Greece. Only the topmost tourist destinations are presented here. To see other destinations, please check the images from Greece section.
Curious if any of these place from Greece made it our best tourist attractions in the world list? Read the aformentioned article in order to find out.
You can also view all tourist attractions in Greece and other countries on our tourist attractions map.
The Parthenon is a temple on the Athenian Acropolis, Greece, dedicated to the maiden goddess Athena, whom the people of Athens considered their patron deity. Its construction began in 447 BC when the Athenian Empire was at the height of its power. It was completed in 438 BC, although decoration of the building continued until 432 BC. It is the most important surviving building of Classical Greece, generally considered the culmination of the development of the Doric order. Its decorative sculptures are considered some of the high points of Greek art. The Parthenon is regarded as an enduring symbol of Ancient Greece, Athenian democracy, western civilization and one of the world's greatest cultural monuments. The Greek Ministry of Culture is currently carrying out a program of selective restoration and reconstruction to ensure the stability of the partially ruined structure. The Parthenon itself replaced an older temple of Athena, which historians call the Pre-Parthenon or Older Parthenon, that was destroyed in the Persian invasion of 480 BC. The temple is archaeoastronomically aligned to the Hyades. Like most Greek temples, the Parthenon was used as a treasury. For a time, it also served as the treasury of the Delian League, which later became the Athenian Empire. In the 5th century AD, the Parthenon was converted into a Christian church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The Ionian Islands are a group of islands in Greece. They are traditionally called the Heptanese, i.e. "the Seven Islands", but the group includes many smaller islands as well as the seven principal ones.
Acropolis of Athens
The Acropolis of Athens is an ancient citadel located on a high rocky outcrop above the city of Athens and containing the remains of several ancient buildings of great architectural and historic significance, the most famous being the Parthenon. The word acropolis comes from the Greek words ἄκρον and πόλις. Although there are many other acropoleis in Greece, the significance of the Acropolis of Athens is such that it is commonly known as "The Acropolis" without qualification. While there is evidence that the hill was inhabited as far back as the fourth millennium BC, it was Pericles in the fifth century BC who coordinated the construction of the site's most important buildings including the Parthenon, the Propylaia, the Erechtheion and the temple of Athena Nike. The Parthenon and the other buildings were seriously damaged during the 1687 siege by the Venetians in the Morean War when the Parthenon was being used for gunpowder storage and was hit by a cannonball. The Acropolis was formally proclaimed as the preeminent monument on the European Cultural Heritage list of monuments on 26 March 2007.
Knossos, Knossus, or Cnossus; Greek Κνωσός, is the largest Bronze Age archaeological site on Crete and is considered Europe's oldest city. The name Knossos survives from ancient Greek references to the major city of Crete. The identification of Knossos with the Bronze Age site is supported by tradition and by the Roman coins that were scattered over the fields surrounding the pre-excavation site, then a large mound named Kephala Hill, elevation 85 m (279 ft) from current sea level. Many of them were inscribed with Knosion or Knos on the obverse and an image of a Minotaur or Labyrinth on the reverse, both symbols deriving from the myth of King Minos, supposed to have reigned from Knossos. The coins came from the Roman settlement of Colonia Julia Nobilis Cnossus, a Roman colony placed just to the north of, and politically including, Kephala. The Romans believed they had colonized Knossos. After excavation, the discovery of the Linear B tablets, and the decipherment of Linear B by Michael Ventris, the identification was confirmed by the reference to an administrative center, ko-no-so, Mycenaean Greek Knosos, undoubtedly the palace complex. The palace was built over a Neolithic town. During the Bronze Age, the town surrounded the hill on which the palace was built.
Colossus of Rhodes
The Colossus of Rhodes was a statue of the Greek Titan Helios, erected in the city of Rhodes, on the Greek island of the same name, by Chares of Lindos in 280 BC. It is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It was constructed to celebrate Rhodes' victory over the ruler of Cyprus, Antigonus I Monophthalmus, whose son unsuccessfully besieged Rhodes in 305 BC. Before its destruction in the earthquake of 226 BC, the Colossus of Rhodes stood over 30 meters high, making it one of the tallest statues of the ancient world.
World Heritage Site
The Metéora is one of the largest and most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Greece, second only to Mount Athos. The six monasteries are built on natural sandstone rock pillars, at the northwestern edge of the Plain of Thessaly near the Pineios river and Pindus Mountains, in central Greece. The nearest town is Kalambaka. The Metéora is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List under criteria I, II, IV, V and VII.
National Archaeological Museum, Athens
The National Archaeological Museum in Athens houses some of the most important artifacts from a variety of archaeological locations around Greece from prehistory to late antiquity. It is considered one of the great museums in the world and contains the richest collection of artifacts from Greek antiquity worldwide. It is situated in the Exarcheia area in central Athens between Epirus Street, Bouboulinas Street and Tositsas Street while its entrance is on the Patission Street adjacent to the historical building of the Athens Polytechnic university.
The Acropolis Museum is an archaeological museum focused on the findings of the archaeological site of the Acropolis of Athens. The museum was built to house every artifact found on the rock and on its feet, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. It also lies on the archaeological site of Makrygianni and the ruins of a part of Roman and early Byzantine Athens. The museum was founded in 2003, while the Organisation of the Museum was established in 2008. It opened to the public on June 20, 2009. Nearly 4,000 objects are exhibited over an area of 14,000 square metres.The Organisation for the Construction of the new museum is chaired by Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Professor Emeritus of Archaeology, Dimitrios Pandermalis.
Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium is a football stadium in the Neo Faliro area of Piraeus, in Athens, Greece. It is the home ground of the most popular Greek club Olympiacos F.C. and is named after Georgios Karaiskakis, hero of the Greek War of Independence, who was mortally wounded near the area.
The Samariá Gorge is a National Park of Greece on the island of Crete - a major tourist attraction of the island - and a World's Biosphere Reserve. The gorge is in southwest Crete in the regional unit of Chania. It was created by a small river running between the White Mountains and Mt. Volakias. There are a number of other gorges in the White Mountains. While some say that the gorge is 18 km long, this distance refers to the distance between the settlement of Omalos on the northern side of the plateau and the village of Agia Roumeli. In fact, the gorge is 16 km long, starting at an altitude of 1,250 m at the northern entrance, and ending at the shores of the Libyan Sea in Agia Roumeli. The walk through Samaria National Park is 13 km long, but one has to walk another three kilometers to Agia Roumeli from the park exit, making the hike 16 km long. The most famous part of the gorge is the stretch known as the Gates, where the sides of the gorge close in to a width of only four meters and soar up to a height of almost 300 meters. The gorge became a national park in 1962, particularly as a refuge for the rare kri-kri, which is largely restricted to the park and an island just off the shore of Agia Marina. There are several other endemic species in the gorge and surrounding area, as well as many other species of flowers and birds.
Ancient Agora of Athens
The Ancient Agora of Classical Athens is the best-known example of an ancient Greek agora, located to the northwest of the Acropolis and bounded on the south by the hill of the Areopagus and on the west by the hill known as the Kolonus Agoraios, also called Market Hill.
Odeon of Herodes Atticus
The Odeon of Herodes Atticus is a stone theatre structure located on the southwest slope of the Acropolis of Athens.
The Benaki Museum, established and endowed in 1930 by Antonis Benakis in memory of his father Emmanuel Benakis, is housed in the Benakis family mansion in downtown Athens, Greece. The museum houses Greek works of art from the prehistorical to the modern times, an extensive collection of Asian art, hosts periodic exhibitions and maintains a state-of-the-art restoration and conservation workshop. Although the museum initially housed a collection that included Islamic art, Chinese porcelain and exhibits on toys, its 2000 re-opening led to the creation of satellite museums that focused on specific collections, allowing the main museum to focus on Greek culture over the span of the country's history.
Temple of Olympian Zeus, Athens
The Temple of Olympian Zeus, also known as the Olympieion or Columns of the Olympian Zeus, is a colossal ruined temple in the centre of the Greek capital Athens that was dedicated to Zeus, king of the Olympian gods. Construction began in the 6th century BC during the rule of the Athenian tyrants, who envisaged building the greatest temple in the ancient world, but it was not completed until the reign of the Roman Emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD some 638 years after the project had begun. During the Roman periods it was renowned as the largest temple in Greece and housed one of the largest cult statues in the ancient world. The temple's glory was short-lived, as it fell into disuse after being pillaged in a barbarian invasion in the 3rd century AD. It was probably never repaired and was reduced to ruins thereafter. In the centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire, the temple was extensively quarried for building materials to supply building projects elsewhere in the city. Despite this, substantial remains remain visible today and it continues to be a major tourist attraction.
Mount Taygetus, Taugetus, or Taygetos is a mountain range in the Peloponnese peninsula in Southern Greece. The name is one of the oldest recorded in Europe, appearing in the Odyssey. In classical mythology, it was associated with the nymph Taygete. During Byzantine times and up until the 19th century, the mountain was also known as Pentadaktylos.
Pláka is the old historical neighborhood of Athens, clustered around the northern and eastern slopes of the Acropolis, and incorporating labyrinthine streets and neoclassical architecture. Plaka is built on top of the residential areas of the ancient town of Athens. It is known as the "Neighbourhood of the Gods" due to its proximity to the Acropolis and its many archaeological sites.
Temple of Hephaestus
The Temple of Hephaestus, also known as the Hephaisteion or earlier as the Theseion, is a well-preserved Greek temple; it remains standing largely as built. It is a Doric peripteral temple, and is located at the north-west side of the Agora of Athens, on top of the Agoraios Kolonos hill. From the 7th century until 1834, it served as the Greek Orthodox church of St. George Akamates.
Achilleion is a palace built in Corfu by Empress of Austria Elisabeth of Bavaria, also known as Sisi, after a suggestion by Austrian Consul Alexander von Watzberg. Elisabeth was a woman obsessed with beauty, and very powerful, but tragically vulnerable since the loss of her only son, Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria in the Mayerling Incident in 1889. A year later in 1890, she built a summer palace in the region of Gastouri, now the municipality of Achilleion, about ten kilometres to the south of the city of Corfu. The palace was designed with the mythical hero Achilles as its central theme. Corfu was Elizabeth's favourite vacation place and she built the palace because she admired Greece and its language and culture. Achilleion's location provides a panoramic view of Corfu city to the north, and across the whole southern part of the island.
Syntagma Square, is a town square located in central Athens, Greece. The Square is named after the Constitution that King Otto was obliged to grant, after a popular and military uprising on September 3, 1843. It is the oldest and socially most important square of modern Athens, at the epicentre of commercial activity during the nineteenth century. The square proper is bordered by Vassileos Georgiou A' Street to the north, Othonos Street to the south, Filellinon Street to the west and Amalias Avenue to the east. The eastern side of the square is higher than the western, and dominated by a set of marble steps leading to Amalias Avenue; beneath these lies the Syntagma metro station. The stairs emerge below between a pair of outdoor cafes, and are a popular city-centre gathering place. Syntagma also includes two green areas to the north and south, planted with shade trees, while in the centre of the square a large water fountain traditionally hosts the occasionally sighted Syntagma pigeons, along with heat-tormented Athenians during the summer. The Greek Parliament is immediately across Amalias Avenue to the east, and surrounded by the extensive National Gardens, which are open to the public; the Parliament itself is not open to the public, even when not in session. Every hour, the changing of the guard ceremony, performed by the Presidential Guard, is conducted in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on the area between the square and parliament. On Sundays and official holidays, the ceremonial changing of the guard occurs with an army band and the majority of the 120 Evzones present at 11 am.
Peace and Friendship Stadium
The Peace and Friendship Stadium, commonly known by its acronym SEF is a sports arena in Piraeus, in the coastal zone of Athens, Greece. The arena is mostly known for being the home to Euroleague Basketball powerhouse Olympiacos Piraeus, and is the central venue of the Faliro Coastal Zone Olympic Complex. It opened in 1985.
Keramikos is an area of Athens, Greece, located to the northwest of the Acropolis, which includes an extensive area both within and outside the ancient city walls, on both sides of the Dipylon Gate and by the banks of the Eridanos River. It was the potters' quarter of the city, from which the English word "ceramic" is derived, and was also the site of an important cemetery and numerous funerary sculptures erected along the road out of the city towards Eleusis.
Heraklion Archaeological Museum
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is a museum located in Heraklion on Crete. It is one of the greatest museums in Greece and the best in the world for Minoan art, as it contains the most notable and complete collection of artifacts of the Minoan civilization of Crete.
Theatre of Dionysus
The Theatre of Dionysus Eleuthereus is a major open-air theatre and one of the earliest preserved in Athens. It was used for festivals in honor of the god Dionysus. Greek theaters in antiquity were in many instances of huge proportions but, under ideal conditions of occupancy and weather, the acoustical properties approach perfection by modern test. We know that the theater of Dionysus in Athens could seat 17,000 spectators, and that the theater in Epidaurs can still accommodate 14,000. It is sometimes confused with the later and better-preserved Odeon of Herodes Atticus, located nearby on the southwest slope of the Acropolis. Some believed that Dionysus himself was responsible for its construction. The South slope of the Acropolis has two theaters, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus and the Theater of Dionysos. The Theater of Dionysos is not as well preserved as the other, but it has more significance. The structure dates back to the fourth century BC but had many other later remodelings. The Athenian tradition of theatrical representations first began at the Theatre of Dionysos. Theater developed into a religious celebration, in honor of the god Dionysos. Theatrical performances were actually competitions. The winners received monuments to display the tripods they had won. The monument that displayed the winners’ tripod would be placed around the theater and along a street that led East; the Street of the Tripods.
White Tower of Thessaloniki
The White Tower of Thessaloniki, is a monument and museum on the waterfront of the city of Thessaloniki, capital of the region of Macedonia in northern Greece and a symbol of Greek sovereignty over Macedonia. The present tower replaced an old Byzantine fortification which was mentioned around the 12th century and reconstructed by the Ottomans to fortify the city's harbour; it became a notorious prison and scene of mass executions during the period of Ottoman rule. It was substantially remodeled and its exterior was whitewashed after Greece gained control of the city in 1912. It has been adopted as the symbol of the city.
The Mall Athens
The Mall Athens is a shopping mall in Athens, Greece. It was the first of the kind to be constructed in Greece and one of the largest shopping and leisure centres in Southeastern Europe. The Mall Athens is located close to the Athens Olympic Stadium in the suburb of Maroussi and was opened to the public on November 25, 2005. It has approximately 200 outlets for commercial and entertainment use, spread over four levels, and covers about 58,500 square meters with 90,000 square meters of underground space. Built under the pretext of the 2004 Athens Olympic Games, its construction and operation have evolved into one of the biggest Greek scandals of the last decade involving real-estate, construction and commercial corporations, heads of government, ministers, mayors and the media. Its main competitors in the region of Attica are Golden Hall, Avenue, Athens Heart, River West and mainly Athens Metro Mall.
The Zappeion is a building in the National Gardens of Athens in the heart of Athens, Greece. It is generally used for meetings and ceremonies, both official and private.
Attica Zoological Park
Attica Zoological Park, is a 20-hectare private zoo located in the Athens suburb of Spata, Greece. The zoo is home to about 2000 animals representing 400 species, and is open 365 days per year. Attica Zoological Park is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria.
Stoa of Attalos
The Stoa of Attalos was a stoa in the Agora of Athens, Greece. It was built by and named after King Attalos II of Pergamon, who ruled between 159 BC and 138 BC.
Palaiokastritsa is a village in the North West of Corfu. Palaiokastrites was a former municipality on the island of Corfu, Ionian Islands, Greece. Its including area was defined around the original village of Palaiokastritsa. Since the 2011 local government reform Palaiokastrites is part of the municipality of Corfu as a smaller municipal unit. It has a land area of 48.379 km² and a population of 4,395 and is located on the west coast of Corfu just south of Angelokastro. The seat of the formerly independent Palaiokastriton municipality was the town of Lakones. The largest villages are Liapades, Doukades, Skriperó, and Lákones. Corfu has been suggested to be the mythical island of the Phaeacians, and the bay of Palaiokastritsa to be the place where Odysseus disembarked and met Nausicaa for the first time, see Geography of the Odyssey. The monastery in Palaiokastritsa dates from 1225. There is a museum inside.
Kolonaki, literally "Little Column" is a neighborhood in central Athens, Greece. It is located on the southwestern slopes of Lycabettus hill. Its name derives from the 2 metre column that defined the area even before a single house had been built there. Kolonaki is a wealthy, chic and upmarket district, and a fashionable meeting area. As one of the capital's leading shopping areas, it includes a number of high-end boutiques from young adult to casual fashion to prestigious haute couture from Greek and international designers. One of its main shopping streets, Voukourestiou Street, is now known for its jewellery. Museums and galleries also abound in Kolonaki. The Benaki Museum, inside a preserved neoclassical manor house, and the Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art and are two of the finest private collections in the country. Two smaller museums to be found in Kolonaki are the Museum of the History of Greek Costume and the Theater Museum, both highly specialized in their respective areas. A walk across the street from Vasilissis Sofias Avenue are the Byzantine Museum, and the War Museum of Athens.
The Church of Saint Demetrius, or Hagios Demetrios, is the main sanctuary dedicated to Saint Demetrius, the patron saint of Thessaloniki, dating from a time when it was the second largest city of the Byzantine Empire. It is part of the site Palaeochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO since 1988.
The National Art Gallery and Alexander Soutzos Museum is an art museum in Athens devoted to Greek and European art from the 14th century to the 20th century. It is directed by Marina Lambraki-Plaka.
Monastiraki is a flea market neighborhood in the old town of Athens, Greece, and is one of the principal shopping districts in Athens. The area is home to clothing boutiques, souvenir shops, and specialty stores, and is a major tourist attraction in Athens and Attica for bargain shopping. The area is named after Monastiraki Square, which in turn is named for the Pantanassa church monastery that is located within the square. The main streets of this area are Pandrossou Street and Adrianou Street. The Monastiraki Metro Station, located on the square, serves both Line 1 and Line 3 of the Athens Metro.
Byzantine & Christian Museum
The Byzantine and Christian Museum is situated at Vassilissis Sofias Avenue in Athens, Greece. It was founded in 1914 and houses more than 25,000 exhibits with rare collections of pictures, scriptures, frescoes, pottery, fabrics, manuscripts and copies of artifacts from the 3rd century AD to the late medieval era. It is one of the most important museums in the world in Byzantine Art. In June 2004, in time for its 90th anniversary and the 2004 Athens Olympics, the museum reopened to the public after an extensive renovation and the addition of another wing.
Arch of Galerius and Rotunda
The Arch of Galerius and the Rotunda are neighboring early 4th-century monuments in the city of Thessaloniki, in the region of Central Macedonia in northern Greece. The Rotunda is also known as the Church of Agios Georgios or the Rotunda of St. George.
Hagia Sophia, Thessaloniki
The Hagia Sophia in Thessaloniki, Greece, is one of the oldest churches in that city still standing today. It is one of several monuments in Thessaloniki included as a World Heritage Site on the UNESCO list.
Archaeological Museum of Olympia
The Archaeological Museum of Olympia is one of the great museums of Greece in Olympia, Elis, and houses artifacts found in the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia.
Temple of Hera, Olympia
Doric order Structure
The Temple of Hera is an ancient Doric Greek temple at Olympia, Greece. The Temple of Hera was destroyed by an earthquake in the early 4th century AD, and never rebuilt. In modern times, the temple is the location where the torch of the Olympic flame is lit, by focusing the rays of the sun. The temple was dedicated to Hera, the wife of Zeus and one of the most important female deities in Greek religion. For other temples also dedicated to Hera, see the: Heraion. The temple was depicted on the reverse of the Greek 1000 drachmas banknote of 1987-2001.
Numismatic Museum of Athens
The Numismatic Museum in Athens is one of the most important museums of Greece and houses one of the greatest collections of coins, ancient and modern, in the world. The museum itself is housed in the former mansion of Heinrich Schliemann, the famous archaeologist, formally known as Iliou Melathron
Myrtos Beach is in the region of Pylaros, in the north-west of Kefalonia island, in the Ionian Sea of Greece. Myrtos beach lies between the feet of two mountains, Agia Dynati and Kalon Oros.
Sidari is a settlement in the northern part of the island of Corfu. It is a community of the municipal unit of Esperies. In 2011 its population was 386.
Nea Kameni is a small uninhabited Greek island of volcanic origin located in the Aegean Sea within the flooded Santorini caldera. Nea Kameni and the neighbouring small island Palea, or Palia, Kameni have formed over the past two millennia by repeated eruptions of dacite lava and ash. Major eruptions over the past 300 years took place in 1707–1712, 1866–1870, 1925–1928, and 1939-1941. The last small eruption happened in 1950 and involved lava dome extrusion. Nea Kameni is nearly round and has a diameter of approximately 2 kilometers and an area of 3.4 km². Nea Kameni is monitored closely by scientists from the Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano and is a protected scientific site. The island has many active sulfur vents, as well as a carpet of red grassy succulents on the thin soil in the summertime. The nearly barren island is visited daily by dozens of tourist boats throughout the summer. Visitors climb a gravel path to reach the top of the 130-meter-high volcanic crater, where it is possible to complete a full circuit of the rim.
Omonia Square is a central square in Athens. It marks the northern corner of the downtown area defined by the city plans of the 19th century, and is one of the city's principal traffic hubs. It is served by Omonia train station.
Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki is a museum in Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia, Greece. It holds and interprets artifacts from the Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods, mostly from the city of Thessaloniki but also from the region of Macedonia in general.
Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art
The Nicholas P. Goulandris Foundation - Museum of Cycladic Art is one of the great museums of Athens. It houses a magnificent collection of artifacts of Cycladic art. The museum was founded in 1986 in order to house the collection of Cycladic and Ancient Greek art belonging to Nicholas and Dolly Goulandris. Starting in the early 1960s, the couple collected Greek antiquities, with special interest in the prehistoric art from the Cyclades islands of the Aegean Sea. The Museum's main building, erected in the centre of Athens in 1985, was designed by the Greek architect Ioannis Vikelas. In 1991, the Museum acquired a new wing, the magnificent neo-classical Stathatos Mansion at the corner of Vassilissis Sofias Avenue and Herodotou Street.
Mathraki is an island and a former community of the Ionian Islands, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Corfu, of which it is a municipal unit. Population 297. Mathraki is a 45 minute boat ride off the coast of Corfu. It has three restaurants that double as general stores, villas and "rooms to let". Mathraki is a quiet island that manages to stay clear of tourists except for the occasional hikers that brave the rocky coastline. The municipal unit includes the three nearby islets Diakopo, Diaplo and Tracheia.
Mount Pantokrator is a mountain located in north-eastern Corfu. At 906m it is the highest mountain on the island. At the summit the whole of Corfu can be seen, as well as Albania which lies a short distance from the island. On particularly clear days it is also possible to see Italy despite it being around 130 km away. At the top there is a café for tourists, a telecommunications station, whose largest tower stands directly over a well, and a monastery. The first monastery on the site was Angevin, built in 1347 but then destroyed sometime around 1537. The current church on the site dates from around 1689, and the current facade was built during the 19th century. It is dedicated to the transfiguration of Christ. To get to the peak, you can either drive to Mount Pantokrator up a series of windy roads from the coast, or walk to the top. If you choose to walk, one of the best places to start is in Old Perithia, Corfu's Oldest Village where it takes approximately 2 hours round trip. The village of Old Perithia dates back to the 14th century and the 'Perithians' helped build the original monastery using local wood and limestone. The village of Old Perithia can be seen from Pantokrator and with its 130 house and 8 churches Old Perithia is said to sit at the foot of Pantokrator, 'The Almighty.' The walk to Pantokrator is also part of, The Corfu Trail an established walking guide around the island of Corfu, although they fail to maintain the paths, so walks such as Perithia to Mt. Pantokrator are now nearly impossible to detect.
Aristotelous Square is the main city square of Thessaloniki, Greece and is located on Nikis avenue, in the city center. It was designed by French architect Ernest Hébrard in 1918, but most of the square was built in the 1950s. Many buildings surrounding the central square have since been renovated and its northern parts were largely restored in the 2000s. The twelve buildings that make up Aristotelous Square have been listed buildings of the Hellenic Republic since 1950.
Old Parliament House, Athens
The Old Parliament building at Stadiou Street in Athens, housed the Greek Parliament between 1875 and 1932. It now houses the country's National Historical Museum.
Hellinikon Olympic Complex
The Hellinikon Olympic Complex is situated at Hellinikon on the east coast of Greece south of Athens, approximately 16 kilometres from the Olympic Village. It was built on the site of the former Ellinikon International Airport for the staging of the 2004 Summer Olympics and 2004 Summer Paralympics. It consists of 5 separate venues.
Waterland is a waterpark in the town of Thessaloniki, Greece. The park is located in the village of Tagarades, at the outskirts of Thessaloniki on the way to Chalkidiki. About 130,000 people from all over Greece and Europe visit the park each year and over 2,900,000 visitors so far. Waterland is an active member of the World and European water parks association and the international association of amusement park attractions. It opened its gates to the public in 1994 and it is the largest waterpark in south-eastern Europe, covering an area of approximately 150,000 square metres.It provides lively entertainment in a friendly and cool environment just 15 minutes from the center of Thessaloniki. Waterland is the first water park that operated in Greece and is unique in Northern Greece.
Stadium at Olympia
The stadium at the archaeological site of Olympia, Greece is located to the east of the sanctuary of Zeus. It was the location of many of the sporting events at the Ancient Olympic Games. The stadium was a holy place for the ancient Greeks, as this is where sporting activities dedicated to Zeus were held. The stadium was originally located within the temenos, with spectators able to view races from the slopes of Mt. Kronos. It was gradually relocated east until it reached its present location in the early 5th century BC. The stadium is connected with the sanctuary by a vaulted stone passageway. The track is 212.54 m long and 28.5 m wide and surrounded by grassy banks on all sides. All the seats were made of mud and on the southern slope there was a stone platform, the exedra, on which the Hellanodikai, the judges, would sit. Opposite this, on the north slope, was an altar to Demeter Chamyne. The stadium could hold 50,000 spectators. The games were held between 776 BC and 393 AD. Greek legends suggest that the games were held even earlier, from the tenth to the eleventh century BC, this is also known as the Bronze Age. According to records, the earliest that we know of the games being held here were during the revival of The Festival of Zeus in 776 BC. The games were held every four years at the beginning, and the middle of the "Great Year". The Great Year, was a way that people in Greece would determine the difference between solar and lunar years.
Museum for the Macedonian Struggle
The Museum for the Macedonian Struggle is located in the centre of the city Thessaloniki in Central Macedonia, Greece. It occupies a neo-classical building designed by the renowned architect Ernst Ziller and built in 1893. In its six ground-floor rooms the museum graphically illustrates the modern and contemporary history of Greek Macedonia. It presents the social, economic, political and military developments that shaped the presence of Hellenism in the region. This approach enables the visitor to form a global picture, not only of the revolutionary movements in the area, but also of the rapidly changing society of the southern Balkans and its agonizing struggles to balance between tradition and modernization.
Archaeological Museum of Piraeus
The Archaeological Museum of Piraeus, Attica, contains mainly sculptures, discovered in Piraeus and in the area of the Attic coast from Bronze Age to Roman times
Piraeus station refers to two railway termini in the city of Piraeus, Greece, approximately 9 km south-west of the centre of Athens. The southern building is the present terminus of Athens Metro Line 1, formerly the Athens-Piraeus Electric Railways that opened in 1869. The northern building is the railway terminus for standard gauge railway services on the main axis to Thessaloniki via Larisa and for the Proastiakos to Acharnes Junction and Chalcis. Both buildings are located next to the seaport.
Megalochori is a village and a community in the western part of the volcanic Methana peninsula, Greece. It is located 3 km northwest of Methana town. The community consists of the villages Megalochori, Vathy, Kaimeni Chora and Megalo Potami.
Museum of Asian art of Corfu
The Museum of Asian art of Corfu is a museum in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George in Corfu, Greece. The only museum in Greece dedicated to the art of Asia, it has collections of Chinese art, Japanese art, Indian art and others.
Archaeological Museum of Chania in Saint Francis Monastery
The Archaeological Museum of Chania is a museum located in the former Venetian Monastery of Saint Francis at 25 Chalidon Street, Chania, Crete, Greece. It was established in 1962.
Archaeological Museum of Patras
The New Archaeological Museum of Patras is located in the city of Patras, Greece. It opened on July 24, 2009. The construction plans for the museum were initially announced by the then Minister of Culture, Melina Mercouri. However, the construction plans did not materialise until 2004. Built on a 28,000-square-metre plot of land, with 8,000 square metres of interior spaces, it is the second-largest museum of Greece. The area surrounding the museum comprises a 500-square-metre pool, a shiny metallic dome and greenery. In the near future, the vacant land next to the museum will be turned into a cultural park. It houses collections about the history of Patras and the surrounding area from prehistory to the end of Roman times. The museum was designed by the architect Mr. Theofanis Bobotis with an original cost of 21.5 million euros that ended up at a total of 25 million. It was originally planned to open in 2006, when Patras was the cultural capital of Europe, but despite the construction being ready, the structure remained empty, with the opening being delayed several times. The museum has four thematic sections, three of which permanent and one periodic. From the three permanent, currently only two are open to the public with the third expected to be opened by the end of the year. The periodic section will be hosting various exhibitions around the year. According to the archaeologists of the 6th Antiquity Conservancy, the 70% of the items exhibited are seeing the light of day for the first time in the past thirty years. The museum is open daily from 8 am till 3 pm, except Monday; entrance is currently 4 euro.
Museum of Greek Folk Musical Instruments
The Museum of Popular Music Instruments, is a museum and Research Centre for Ethnomusicology in the Lassanis Mansion, Plaka, Athens, Greece. It displays about 600 Greek musical instruments from the last 300 years and has as many more in store.
The Banknote Museum of Alpha Bank is a museum located in Corfu, Greece. It showcases an almost complete collection of the Greek currency from 1822 to present, about 2000 items. It includes the first treasury bonds issued by the newly liberated Greek State in 1822 until the replacement of the drachma by the euro in 2002. It also includes sketches essays and printing plates of Greek banknotes. One of its rarest holdings is the 1860 "colonata". The museum was established in 1981 by the Ionian Bank and it is housed at the former Ionian Bank building designed by Corfiote architect Ioannis Chronis in about 1840. In 2000 Ionian Bank merged with Alpha Bank and subsequently the Banknote Museum was renovated and was reopened in 2005. An additional exhibit hall was added showcasing "Ionian Bank Limited" which was a British venture and the first bank to operate in Greek territory. The museum collection is considered one of the most complete of its kind in the world.
The Epigraphical Museum of Athens, Greece, is the third-largest museum of ancient inscriptions in the world. Its collection comprises 13,500 inscriptions, mostly Latin, from early historical times to the Late Roman period. It is situated in the south wing of the National Archaeological Museum of Athens. Four of its rooms are accessible to visitors, while the rest is reserved for researchers. A full photographic archive of the collection is being assembled for future visitors.
Museum of Visual Arts
Museum of Visual Arts or Museum of Plastic Arts is a museum located on Nymphon Street in Heraklion, Crete, Greece. The museum was established in order to support cultural and artistic activity and to promote the work of Cretan artists. The museum organizes educational seminars and lectures on art, as well as conferences, concerts, and publications.
Archaeological Museum of Corfu
The Archaeological Museum of Corfu in Corfu, Greece was built between 1962 - 1965. The museum land was donated by the city of Corfu. Its initial purpose was to house the archaeological finds from the Temple of Artemis in Corfu. In 1994 it was expanded with the addition of two more exhibit halls that display the more recent finds at the ancient citadel of Corfu. It is located on 1 Vraila Armeni St.
War Museum of Chania
War Museum of Chania is a museum in Chania, Crete, Greece, annex of the War Museum of Athens. It was founded on July 1995. The museum exhibits photographs, war artifacts and other items from the national wars and revolutions of the Greek History. It is housed in a building, built in 1870 and designed by the Italian architect Makouzo, which in the past has been used as barracks by the Italian Army during World War II.
Archaeological Museum of Elefsis
The Archeological Museum of Eleusis is a museum in Eleusis, Attica, Greece. The museum is located inside the archaeological site of Eleusis. Built in 1890, by the plans of the German architect Kaverau, to keep the findings of the excavations, and after two years was extended under the plans of the Greek architect J. Mousis. The most remarkable collection of objects dated from the 5th century BC, when the reputation of the temple had been panhellenic, and the number of believers who moved there in order to attend the ceremonies of the Eleusinian mysteries had been increased significantly. Many of the findings are associated with these ceremonies. The Votive piglet reminds the sacrifice of these animals for the purgation of the believers at Phaleron, which took place in some of the preparatory stages of the ceremonies, and the kernos, a ceremonial vessel which was used at the sacrifices and at the offerings made to the altars and the temples, during the return of the sacred symbols through the Holy Road from the Ancient Agora back again to the Sanctuary for the final initiation. Among the most important exhibits of the museum are included: the monumental Protoattic amphora from the middle of the 7th century BC, with the depiction of Medusa's beheading by Perseus, the famous "fleeing kore" from the archaic period, that probably comes from the architectural design of the Sacred House, the large headless statue of the goddess Demeter, probably the work of Agorakrito's school - a student of Pheidias-, and the Caryatid from the roof of the small Propylaea, bringing on her head the ciste, the container holding the sacred articles of the ceremony, with a relief appearance of the symbols of the Eleusinian cult, which are: the ear of grain, the poppies, the rozetes and the kernos.
Old Acropolis Museum
The Old Acropolis Museum was an archaeological museum located in Athens, Greece on the archeological site of Acropolis. It is built in a niche at the eastern edge of the rock and most of it lies beneath the level of the hilltop, making it largely invisible. It was considered one of the major archaeological museums in Athens. Due to its limited size, the Greek government decided in the late 1980s to build a new museum. The New Acropolis Museum is now built at the foot of the Acropolis. In June 2007 the old museum closed its doors so that its antiquities could be moved to their new home, which opened on 20 June 2009.
Jewish Museum of Greece
The Jewish Museum of Greece is a museum in Athens, Greece. It was established by Nicholas Stavriyklakis in 1977 to preserve the material culture of the Greek Jews.
Archaeological Museum of Epirus
The Archaeological Museum of Ioannina is a museum located in Litharitsa Park in the centre of Ioannina, Greece. The museum contains many artifacts unearthed in the surrounding area such as Palaeolithic tools, from Kokkinopilos, Asprochaliko and Kastritsa, the ruins of Dodoni and ancient cemeteries such as Vitsa and the Oracle of Acheron. The museums also has many inscriptions, headstones, and a collection of coins. The collections of the Archaeological Museum of Ioannina are displayed in seven halls, the central aisle and three atria in a total surface of 1.200 square meters. Exhibits cover a wide time span from the first appearance of humans in Epirus during the Lower Paleolithic, 250.000 years ago, to late antiquity in late Roman times. Great emphasis is laid on the artifacts from the sanctuary of Dodoni which are exhibited in a hall devoted to one of the greatest sanctuaries of the Greek world. The new permanent exhibition retains the Panepirotic dimension of the old one, as was conceived by the first director of the Archaeological Museum, Ioulia Vokotopoulou. It comprises approximately 3.000 artifacts from all over Epirus. The exhibition is structured around three different axes: chronological, geographical and thematic. These intertwined axes underpin the museum’s narrative in an attempt to highlight the area’s distinct character and history during antiquity.
Museum of Greek Folk Art
The Museum of Greek Folk Art is a museum in Athens, Greece. The museum was founded in 1918 as the Museum of Greek Handicrafts in the Tsisdarakis Mosque in Monastiraki, which later became the National Museum of Decorative Arts and in 1959 it obtained its current name. In 1973 the most of the collection and the main functions of the museum were moved to 17 Kydanthinaion Str. in Plaka and the mosque was annexed to it. Other annexes are the old "Public Baths" at Kyrrestou 8 and one at Thespidos 8, both also in Plaka.
Archaeological Museum of Delos
The Archaeological Museum of Delos is a museum on the island of Delos, near Mykonos in the South Aegean, Greece. It is noted for its extensive collection of statues unearthed in the surrounding area of the ancient site, which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Although the museum has a considerable collection, it does not contain all of the items found in Delos: a large quantity are on display in Athens at the National Archaeological Museum.
Byzantine Museum of Antivouniotissa
The Antivouniotissa Museum is a museum of post-Byzantine religious art of the Cretan and early Heptanese schools in Corfu, Greece. It is located in the former church of the Holy Mother of God Antivouniotissa
Archaeological Museum of Ancient Corinth
The Archaeological Museum of Ancient Corinth is a museum in Ancient Corinth, Greece. The museum houses a large collection of artifacts of the local archaeological site and smaller sites in the neighboring area, such as Korakou, Gonia, and Acrocorinth. The artifacts, which were systematically recovered beginning in 1896 by the Corinth Excavations, illustrate much about Ancient Corinth through Greek, Roman and Byzantine rule. Exhibits include statues, mosaics, pottery and sarcophagi. The museum consists of four rooms. In room one are finds from the prehistoric installations in the area and includes pottery, figurines, and tools. Room two contains objects from the Geometric, Archaic, and Classical periods. Room three houses statues of Roman rulers, floor mosaics, wall paintings and Roman and Byzantine pottery. The Asklepieion room contains mainly votives from the Asklepieion at Ancient Corinth. With the generous donations of Mrs. William H. Moore, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens built the museum in 1931 and its expansion in 1950.
Frissiras Museum is a contemporary painting museum in Plaka Athens, Greece. It was founded and endowed by Vlassis Frissiras, an art-collecting lawyer. Its permanent collection consists of 3000 paintings and sculptures by Greek and other European artists on the subject of the human form.
Hellenic Air Force Museum
The Hellenic Air Force Museum was founded in 1986 and since 1992 it is located on the Decelea Airfield. In opposition to the War Museum of Athens it displays air force history and is active in restoring and presenting old aircraft. The most aircraft in the collection come from the Hellenic Air Force, some were exchanged with other European Aircraft Museums. The HAF Underwater Operations Team helped recover some rare airplanes from underwater for the museum: A Bristol Blenheim, a Junkers 52 and a Junkers 87.
Athens University Museum
The Athens University Museum is a museum in Plaka, Athens, Greece. The building was a structure of the Ottoman period but fundamentally restructured between 1831 and 1833 by Stamatios Kleanthis and Eduard Schaubert for their architectural office. From 1837 to 1841 it housed the newly founded University of Athens.
Archaeological Museum of Sparta
The Archaeological Museum of Sparta is a museum in Sparta in Greece. It houses thousands of finds from the ancient Acropolis of Sparta, known as the Lakedaemonia, but also from the rest of the municipality of Laconia. The collection's pieces date from the Neolithic Age to the late Roman Period. There are seven rooms of an approximate area of 500 m2 which display only a small part of the collection. Administratively it belongs in 5th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classic Antiquities.
The Vorres Museum is a diachronic museum of folk and contemporary art in Paiania, East Attica, Greece. Its grounds cover 80 acres including several buildings, gardens and courtyards. Its collection includes over 6000 pieces covering 4000 years of Greek history and art. The museum has been donated by the Vorres family to the Greek state. Its President and Founder is Ian Vorres, who studied in Canada at Queen's University and Toronto University.
Archaeological Museum of Dion
The Archaeological Museum of Dion is a museum in Dion in the Pieria regional unit of Central Macedonia, Greece. The museum was established in 1983 to display excavations unearthed in the area from a fortified city that once stood in its place from the 6th century BC to the 5th century AD. The artifacts of the museum were also discovered in Olympus and the wider Pieria regional unit. Excavation of the archaeological site began in 1973 and is still far from complete. The museum contains many items from when the Romans lived in the area, including statues, architectural members, votive and grave monuments, coins, and many other objects found in the necropolis and the sanctuaries and baths of the ancient city on site. The water organ, the Statue of Dionysos, Isis and Aphrodite Hypolympia and the Asklepios Daughters are displays of particular note.
Municipal Gallery of Athens
The Municipal Gallery of Athens is a museum in Athens, Greece. It houses a rich collection of nearly 3,000 works from leading 19th- and 20th-century Greek artists. Formerly located on Peiraios Street on Eleftherias Square, in October 2010 the gallery moved three blocks northwest to the corner of Myllerou and Leonidou streets on Avdi Square in Metaxourgeio. The move added another dimension to the gallery's draw, as its current building was designed in the early 19th century by prominent architect Hans Christian Hansen. The gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 21:00, on Sunday from 10:00 to 14:00, and closed Monday. Admission is free. 210 3243023 or 210 5202420.
Museum of the City of Athens
Museum of the City of Athens Vouros - Eutaxias is a museum in Athens, Greece. It houses a collection of a variety of Athens-related items collected by art collector Lambros Eutaxias. It includes antiquities, Byzantine art, sculptures, paintings, drawings, photographs and metal, glass and textile works. Also it includes furniture arranged in typical living rooms of the Athenian aristocracy of the 19th century.
Archaeological Museum of Abdera
The Archaeological Museum of Abdera is a museum in Abdera, Greece. The museum houses archaeological artefacts found in the city which date from around 7th century BC to 13th century AD. The museum was established in January 2000 and the building was designed by the architects Y. Polychroniou and N. Filippidis of the Directorate of Museum Studies of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture. The exhibition is displayed in three thematic entities. The first is public life: which includes exhibits related to religion, state organization, coinage, weights and seals and weapons. The second is Private life which includes exhibits related to the occupations of the civilians, trade and workshops, building elements, pottery, weaving, beautification, dress-coiffure and jewellery. The third is related to burial customs which includes grave markers, clay sarcophagi, ash-containers, burial offerings and reconstructions of burials. These exhibits were found in ancient cemeteries of Abdera.
Railway Museum of Athens
The Railway Museum of Athens, Greece, was founded by the Hellenic Railways Organisation in 1978. It is currently located at 4 Siokou Street, next to the mainline from Athens to Inoi. The museum has a collection of items related to the history of rail transport in Greece, many of them exhibited in its five rooms. The museum is open daily from 09:00 to 13:00 except Mondays, and is also open on Wednesday evenings from 17:00 to 20:00. Admission is free. Photography in the museum is prohibited.
Archaeological Museum of Chios
The Archaeological Museum of Chios is a museum located on Michalon Street in Chios town, Chios, Greece. It was constructed in 1966-1971 and covers a total area of 2500 square metres. 1200 square metres of floor space is occupied by the exhibitions. The museum underwent renovation in 1998 and reopened in November 1999 and features a collection of antiquities from the Neolithic Era up to the Roman times excavated at the ancient sites of Emporio, Fana, Dotia, Aghio Galas and at Chios town.Many of the artifacts unearthed at the sites were dug by the British School of Archaeology. The periodical exhibition is housed on the third floor and is named “Psara in Antiquity”. It contains artifacts such as vases, gold jewelry, terracotta figurines and funeral gift items. The Psara collection was found at the Mycenaean Necropolis of Archontiki on Psara Island.Of major note is a prehistoric vase found in Emporio, dated back to the 14th century B.C., geometric amphoras found in the town of Chios, dated to the 8th century B.C. and golden leaves unearthed in a grave at the town of Chios, dated back to the Hellenistic period.
Archaeological Museum of Agrinio
The Archaeological Museum of Agrinio is a museum located in the city of Agrinio in Aetolia-Acarnania, in Greece. It lies next to the Papastrateio Municipal Park and features artifacts dating back to Antiquity and Roman times from the area around Agrinio. It was constructed in 1960 through the donation of the Papastratos firm.
Archaeological Museum of Kavala
The Archaeological Museum of Kavala is a museum in Kavala, East Macedonia, Greece, located towards the western end of the Ethnikis Antistasis road in Kavala. The museum was established in 1934, and reopened in 1964 in its current premises. Τhe museum as it stands today was built by the architects D. Fatouros and G. Triantaphyllides, professors of the Polytechnic School and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki between 1963 and 1964. The museum has been referred to as the most important archaeological museum in Eastern Macedonia and one of the most important museums in Greece. The museum contains prehistoric artifacts found all over the Kavala regional unit such as in Neapolis, Amphipolis and places such as Oisyme, Galypsos, Dikili Tas, Tragilos, Mesembria, Nikisiani and Avdira.
Archaeological Museum of Volos
The Archaeological Museum of Volos, also known as Athanasakeion Archaeological Museum of Volos, is a museum located in Volos, Greece, that houses many exquisite finds from early 20th century and modern archaeological excavations in Thessaly. Exhibits on display include jewelry, household utensils and agricultural tools, originating from the Neolithic settlements of Dimini and Sesklo, as well as clay statuettes and a wide variety of items from the Geometric period, a time of great heroic events, such as the Argonaut Expedition and the Trojan War. There are also statues and uncommon jointed statuettes from the classical period, rare steles with relief work from the Hellenistic period whereby the color are well-preserved, as well as reliefs from the early Christian and Byzantine periods. Other fascinating exhibits include tombs transported in their entirety from the archaeological sites where they were discovered, along with the human skeleton and the offerings placed around it. Just outside the museum there are some interesting reconstructions of the Neolithic houses at Dimini and Sesklo.
Florina Museum of Modern Art
Modern Art Museum
The Florina Museum of Modern Art is an art museum in Florina in Greece. It was founded by the Florina Art Centre in 1977. It is housed in a neoclassical building by the Skouleva river. The museum's collection is composed of 480 works by 254 artists, which includes paintings, sculptures and engravings. More recently, its collection was enriched by a work of El Greco donated by the national Gallery, as well as by 44 engravings from Florence. These are in display since August 1999. Apart from its permanent exhibition, the museum also organizes art symposia and exhibitions of visual and applied art. The purpose of the museum is to promote modern Greek culture through products of contemporary art, to cultivate the aesthetic and critical faculties of the local people by mounting solo and group exhibitions of visual art, and to provide schoolchildren with artistic education. The museum’s collection consists of representative paintings, sculptures, and engravings by noted artists of the twentieth century. More specifically, it includes: paintings by Rengos, Plakotaris, Mavridis, Kaniaris, Tetsis, Kokkinidis, Mytaras, Kondos, Kanakakis, Kondogiannis, Tsaras, Xanthopoulos, Botsoglou, Dimitreas, Sahinis, Fokas, Golfinos, Lachas, Kalamaras, Papagiannis, Georgiadis, Zongolopoulos, Perandinos, Koulandianos, Lappas; sculptures by Chalepas; engravings by Hadzikyriakos-Gikas, Rengos, Papageorgiou, Grammatikopoulos, Papadakis, Xenakis, Nikolaou, Sikeliotis, Tsoklis, Moralis, Giannadakis, Nedelkos. A recent addition to the exhibits is a collection entitled ‘Tribute to El Greco’, which was put together from donations from Greek artists to acquire El Greco’s ‘St Peter’ from the National Gallery and 44 engravings by 31 foreign artists from Florence. The collection was displayed in the museum in August, 1999.
World Heritage Site
Mount Athos is a mountain in Greece.
Archaeological Museum of Nafplion
The Archaeological Museum of Nafplion is a museum in the town of Nafplion of Argolis, in Greece. It has exhibits of the Neolithic period, Chalcolithic period, Helladic period, mycenaean period, Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods from all over southern Argolis. The museum is situated in the central square of Nafplion. It is housed on the top floor of the old Venetian barracks.
The Kapodistrias Museum or Kapodistrias Museum–Centre of Kapodistrian Studies is a museum dedicated to the memory and life's work of Ioannis Kapodistrias. It is located in the area Koukouritsa of Evropouli in Corfu, Greece. The property was donated by Maria Desylla-Kapodistria great granddaughter of Georgios Kapodistrias, younger brother of Ioannis Kapodistrias and the only one of the brothers who got married. The museum was established in 1981. Ioannis Kapodistrias' summer home in the rural area of Koukouritsa in his birthplace of Corfu, houses the museum, showcasing exhibits commemorating his life and accomplishments. Mrs Maria Desylla-Kapodistria, a former mayor of Corfu and the first female mayor in Greece, donated the residence to the three primary cultural societies of Corfu specifically for that purpose. The museum also functions as a centre for Kapodistrian and Corfiote studies.
Archaeological Museum of Aigion
The Archaeological Museum of Aigion is a museum in Aigion, Greece opened on August 6, 1994. The building of the museum which originally housed the municipal market of Aigio is a work of the famous architect Ernst Ziller and it was built in 1890. In the museum there are six rooms covering findings from the Neolithic period to the late Roman. Among the notable works found in the museum is the Marble statue of Aigiochos dated to the 1st century AD, a fruitstand with painted decoration, found at the Neolithic settlement of Sylivaina at Krathion and dates from the Middle Neolithic period, a three-handled pithos-amphora dated to the second half of the 15th century BC, a necklace of cornelian and glass-paste beads dated to the 14th-13th century BC and a Corinthian krater bearing painted representations of sphinxes and an eagle from around 690 BC. The museum also has an antefix decorated with a painted palmette and a Clay sima with a painted decoration, from the Archaic temple at Aigira dated to 500 BC.
Archaeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos
The Archaeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos is a museum in Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece. Established in 1970, the museum contains archaeological finds in chronological order beginning with the Neolithic era, Minoan remains, and ending with Greco-Roman finds. It consists of eight large rooms and amongst its most famous exhibits is the Goddess of Mirtos, a libation vessel in the form of a female figure discovered at a Bronze Age settlement at Fournos, near Mirtos. The museum also contains important items of the Daedalic Period which date back to the 7th century BC, notably the head of a clay statue of a woman found near Sitia.
Archaeological Museum of Argostoli
The Archaeological Museum of Argostoli, also known as the Kefalonia Museum is a museum in Argostoli, Greece, located a few blocks south of the plateia, across from the Municipal Theater on R. Vergoti. It contains antiquities found on the island of Kefalonia, ranging from the prehistoric to the Roman periods. The old museum was destroyed by an earthquake in 1953. The current building was built in 1960. and designed by the well-known architect Patroklos Karantinos.
Archaeological Museum of Mykonos
The Archaeological Museum of Mykonos is a museum, in Mykonos, in Greece. Its collections include exhibits dating from the Prehistoric to the Hellenistic period.
Syntagma Metro Station Archaeological Collection
The Syntagma Metro Station Archeological Collection is a museum in Athens, Greece. It is located at the Syntagma station of the Athens metro and it features a variety of historical items unearthed during the process of building the metro.
Archaeological Museum of Naxos
Archaeological Museum of Naxos is a museum in Naxos Greece. This newly declared historical monument is located in a Venetian building, built some time between 1600 and 1800 for the Jesuit school established in 1700, later becoming the Archaeological Museum in 1972. The museum houses finds from the Early Cycladic period including figurines from Naxos itself, Kato Kouphonisi and Keros, from the Late Mycenaean period including stirrup jars and other grave goods from chamber tombs and other graves from the Kamini mound and Aplomata. A smaller area is given over to finds from the Geometric Period and later finds, including sculpture from all periods of Naxos' history. It is open from 08.30 to 15.00 except Mondays and public holidays.
Archaeological Museum of Arta
The Archaeological Museum of Arta is a museum in Arta, Greece. It was established in 1973 as the Archaeological collection of Arta, and has been housed in the Trapeza of the 13th-century Paregoretissa church. It was established as a full museum in 2009.
Archaeological Museum of Argos
The Archaeological Museum of Argos is a museum in Argos, in Argolis on the Peloponnese peninsula, Greece. The history of the museum began in April 1932, when the heirs of J. Kallergis donated the building to the Argos city council. They in turn gave it to the Greek state along with the surrounding area on October 25, 1955. The museum consists of two sections; the Kallergeio museum which was inaugurated in 1957 and the new section in 1961. The French Archaeological School, who also oversaw the building of the new section, are responsible for the many of the items displayed in the museum which were unearthed in Argos and the prefecture and date from the Mid-Helladic period until Late Antiquity. The bulk of the artifacts were discovered at the ancient agora, in the area of the ancient Roman theatre and also at the Mycenaean grave in Deras. The American School of Classical Studies were also responsible for some excavations represented in the collection, particularly those at Lerna.
Aegean Maritime Museum
The Aegean Maritime Museum is a maritime museum in Mykonos, Greece. The founder and chairman of the museum, George M. Drakopoulos, received the Athens Academy Award and the World Ship Trust's Award for Individual Achievement for the foundation of the museum. A non-profit institution, it was founded in 1983 and in 1985 opened to the public in a Mykonian building of the 19th century, located in the area known as Tria Pigadia in the town centre. The museum aims to undertake the preservation, promotion and study of Greek maritime history and tradition and specializes in the merchant-ship history of the Aegean Sea. The Aegean Maritime Museum was the first ever Greek museum to restore living historical exhibits as they were originally designed and built. Exhibits that are living restorations include the "Armenistis" lighthouse, which stands in the museum garden, and the ships Thalis o Milesios and Evangelistria, which are located on the museum wharf at the Paleo Phaliro marina. The garden of the Aegean Maritime Museum, aside from displaying the lighthouse, has a number of ancient sailors' marble gravestones collected from the islands of Mykonos and Delos.