Top tourist attractions in Finland
Here is a list of top tourist attractions in Finland. Only the topmost tourist destinations are presented here. To see other destinations, please check the images from Finland section.
Curious if any of these place from Finland made it our best tourist attractions in the world list? Read the aformentioned article in order to find out.
You can also view all tourist attracctions in Finland and other countries on our tourist attractions map.
Suomenlinna, until 1918 Viapori, or Sveaborg, is an inhabited sea fortress built on six islands and which now forms part of the city of Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Suomenlinna is a UNESCO World Heritage site and popular with tourists and locals, who enjoy it as a picturesque picnic site. Originally named Sveaborg, or Viapori as called by Finnish-speaking Finns, it was renamed Suomenlinna in 1918 for patriotic and nationalistic reasons, though it is sometimes known by its original name. In Swedish-speaking and historical context, the name Sveaborg is always used. The Swedish crown commenced the construction of the fortress in 1748 as protection against Russian expansionism. The general responsibility for the fortification work was given to Augustin Ehrensvärd. The original plan of the bastion fortress was strongly influenced by the ideas of Vauban, the foremost military engineer of the time, and the principles of Star Fort style of fortification, albeit adapted to a group of rocky islands. In addition to the island fortress itself, seafacing fortifications on the mainland would ensure that an enemy would not acquire a beach-head from which to stage attacks. The plan was also to stock munitions for the whole Finnish contingent of the Swedish Army and Royal Swedish Navy there. In the Finnish War the fortress surrendered to Russia on May 3, 1808, paving the way for the occupation of Finland by Russian forces in 1809.
Helsinki Olympic Stadium
The Helsinki Olympic Stadium, located in the Töölö district about 2 kilometres from the center of the Finnish capital Helsinki, is the largest stadium in the country, nowadays mainly used for hosting sports events and big concerts. The stadium is best known for being the center of activities in the 1952 Summer Olympics. During those games, it hosted athletics, equestrian show jumping, and the football finals. It was built however to host the 1940 Summer Olympics, which were moved from Tokyo to Helsinki before being cancelled due to World War II. The stadium was also the venue for the first World Athletics Championships in 1983 as well as for the 2005 World Championships in Athletics. It hosted both the 1971 European Athletics Championships and the European Athletics Championships in 1994. It will once again be the venue for the championships in 2012. It is also the home stadium of the Finland national football team. Construction of the Olympic Stadium began in 1934 and it was completed in 1938. The Olympic was designed in functionalistic style by the architects Yrjö Lindegren and Toivo Jäntti. The stadium was completely modernized in 1990–1994 and also renovated just before the 2005 World Championships in Athletics. Its spectator capacity was at its maximum during the 1952 Summer Olympics with over 70,000 spectator places. Nowadays the stadium has 40,600 spectator places. During concerts, depending on the size of the stage, the capacity is 45,000–50,000.
PowerPark is a large scale karting and amusement park in Alahärmä, Southern Ostrobothnia, Finland. The main karting track already resembles an F1 circuit, but they also have a hectare-large indoor track, the largest in Europe. Other than that the resort also contains a restaurant, large hotel, a camping area with cottages and all sorts of amusement rides.
Turku Castle is a medieval building in the city of Turku in Finland. Together with Turku Cathedral, the castle is one of the oldest buildings still in use in Finland. Turku Castle is the largest surviving medieval building in Finland. It was founded in the late 13th century and stands on the banks of the Aura River.
Kiasma is a contemporary art museum located on Mannerheimintie in Helsinki, Finland. Its name kiasma, Finnish for chiasma, alludes to the basic conceptual idea of its architect, Steven Holl. The museum exhibits the contemporary art collection of the Finnish National Gallery founded in 1990. Its central goal is to make contemporary art better known and strengthen its status.
Moomin World is the Moomin Theme Park especially for children, based on the Moomin books by Tove Jansson. Moomin World is on the island of Kailo beside the old town of Naantali, near the city of Turku in Finland Proper region. The blueberry-coloured Moomin House is the main attraction. Tourists are allowed to freely visit all five stories. Hemulen's yellow house is located next to the Moomin House. It is also possible to see Moominmama's Kitchen, Fire Station, Snufkin's Camp, Moominpappa's boat, etc. in Moomin World. Visitors may meet Moomin characters there or the Witch in her cottage. Moomin World isn't a traditional amusement park, as it does not have rides. There are many activities and fantasy paths for children there, e.g., Toffle's Path with Witch's Labyrinth, The Hattifatteners' Cave and The Groke's House. There are also performances in Moomin Theatre Emma. Moomin World is open daily from mid-June to mid-August. The nearby Väski Adventure Island is also a special sight for children.
Suomen Joutsen is a steel-hulled full rigged ship with three square rigged masts. Built in 1902 by Chantiers de Penhoët in St. Nazaire, France, as Laënnec, the ship served two French owners before she was sold to German interest in 1922 and renamed Oldenburg. In 1930, she was acquired by the Government of Finland, refitted to serve as a school ship for the Finnish Navy and given her current name. Suomen Joutsen made eight long international voyages before the Second World War and later served in various support and supply roles during the war. From 1961 on she served as a stationary seamen's school for the Finnish Merchant Navy. In 1991, Suomen Joutsen was donated to the city of Turku and became a museum ship moored next to Forum Marinum.
Linnanmäki is an amusement park in Helsinki, Finland. It was opened on May 27, 1950 and is owned by non-profit Lasten Päivän Säätiö. Linnanmäki has 43 different rides of different sizes. It also has other attractions, such as arcades, games, kiosks, restaurants and an outdoor stage on which different performers appear in the summer. In 2006, the park welcomed its 50th million visitor. In 2007 Linnanmäki had 1.2 million visitors.
Turku Cathedral is the Mother Church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, and the country's national shrine. It is the central church of the Archdiocese of Turku and the seat of the Archbishop of Finland, Kari Mäkinen. It is also regarded as one of the major records of Finnish architectural history. Considered to be the most important religious building in Finland, the cathedral has borne witness to many important events in the nation's history and has become one of the city's most recognizable symbols. The cathedral is situated in the heart of Turku next to the Old Great Square, by the river Aura. Its presence extends beyond the local precinct by having the sound of its bells chiming at noon broadcast on national radio. It is also central to Finland's annual Christmas celebrations. The cathedral was originally built out of wood in the late 13th century, and was dedicated as the main cathedral of Finland in 1300, the seat of the bishop of Turku. It was considerably expanded in the 14th and 15th centuries, mainly using stone as the construction material. The cathedral was badly damaged during the Great Fire of Turku in 1827, and was rebuilt to a great extent afterwards.
National Museum of Finland
The National Museum of Finland presents Finnish history from the Stone Age to the present day, through objects and cultural history. The Finnish National Romantic style building is located in central Helsinki and operates in collaboration with the National Board of Antiquities, an association related to the government's Ministry of Culture and Education.
Finnish Railway Museum
The Finnish Railway Museum is located in Hyvinkää, Finland. It was originally founded in 1898 and located in Helsinki. The museum was moved to Hyvinkää in 1974. The museum is on the original station and yard site of the Hanko–Hyvinkää railway. In addition to the station building, there is a roundhouse and several other preserved buildings, mainly from the 1870s. Unique objects are on display, including the only surviving imperial train of the Russian Emperor. The locomotives include the British Neilson and Company locomotive dating 1869, a British Beyer Peacock locomotive dating from 1868, and a 2-10-0 steam locomotive Tr2 1319 ALCO No 75214 built 1947, which is one of 20 Russian locomotive class Ye sold to Finland. The museum also has a live steam backyard railroad track, where train rides are offered to the public during special run days in the summer months.
Finlandia Hall, Helsinki
Finlandia Hall is a concert hall with a congress wing in Helsinki, Finland, by Töölönlahti bay. The building was designed by Alvar Aalto. The work began in 1967 and was completed in 1971.
Heureka is a Finnish science center in Vantaa, Finland, north of Helsinki. The aim of the science centre, which opened its doors to the public in 1989, is to popularize scientific information and to develop the methods used to teach science and scientific concepts. The name ‘Heureka’ refers to the Greek exclamation, presumably uttered by Archimedes, to mean “I’ve found it!”. The Science Centre Heureka features both indoor and outdoor interactive exhibitions with exhibits that enable visitors to independently test different concepts and ideas. There is also a digital planetarium with 135 seats. The Heureka Science Centre is a non-profit organization run by the Finnish Science Centre Foundation. The Finnish Science Centre Foundation is a broadly based co-operation organisation that includes the Finnish scientific community, education sector, trade and industry, and national and local government. The ten background organisations of the Foundation support, develop and actively participate in the activities of Heureka. The foundation’s highest body is the Board of Trustees, whose decisions are implemented by the Governing Board. Everyday activities are the responsibility of Heureka’s Director assisted by a management team and other staff. The Director of the Finnish Science Centre Heureka is Professor Per-Edvin Persson.
Seurasaari is an island and a district in Helsinki, Finland, known mostly as the location of the Seurasaari Open-Air Museum, which consists of old, mainly wooden buildings transplanted from elsewhere in Finland and placed in the dense forest landscape of the island. Every summer, many Helsinkians come to Seurasaari to enjoy the rural, peaceful outdoor atmosphere. Despite the visitors, the island has a variety of wildlife, especially birds, but also red squirrels and hares. The height of the island's popularity is at Midsummer, when a huge bonfire is built on a small isle just off the island's coast, and ignited by a newly-wed couple. Thousands of people, both tourists and Helsinkians, watch the burning of the bonfire from both Seurasaari itself and from boats anchored near it. Seurasaari also includes one of only two nudist beaches in Helsinki and one of only three in the entire country. Unlike the other nudist beaches, the beach is segregated for men and women separately with no unisex nudist area.
Parola Tank Museum
Parola Tank Museum, officially Armoured Vehicle Museum is a military museum located 110 kilometres north of Helsinki in Parola, near Hämeenlinna, in Finland. It displays various tanks, armoured vehicles and anti-tank guns used by the Finnish Defence Forces throughout its history. A rare exhibit is an armoured train used in World War II. A few kilometers away from the museum is also the Armoured Brigade. The museum was opened June 18, 1961, when there were 19 tanks and 12 anti-tank guns on display. Also Leopard 2A4, the latest tank in the Finnish Defense Forces is displayed.
Nuuksio National Park
Nuuksio National Park is one of the national parks in Finland. Established in 1994, the park spreads over an area of forests and lakes in Espoo, Kirkkonummi and Vihti. North-west from Helsinki, it is the second-closest national park to the capital after Sipoonkorpi National Park. The name is derived from the Nuuksio district of Espoo. The park can be reached by public transportation from Helsinki and Espoo. Buses 85 and 85A leave from Espoon keskus to Nuuksionpää and Kattila at daytime. From Leppävaara take bus no. 28/28K to Siikaniemi or bus no. 28T/28KT to Siikaranta. There are three marked trails for hiking and locations for grilling, camping, skiing, and berry and mushroom picking. In addition to four camping sites it is also possible to rent a cabin at Wild North. The Siberian Flying Squirrel is the emblem of the national park due to its density of population. The national park comprises the westernmost part of the so-called Nuuksio lake highlands. Dozens of endangered or near threatened species of animals, plants and fungi are known to live in the area; for instance the Siberian Flying Squirrel, the European Nightjar and the Woodlark.
Santa Claus Village
Santa Claus Village is an amusement park near Rovaniemi in the Lapland region of Finland.
Repovesi National Park
Repovesi National Park is situated in the municipalities of Kouvola and Mäntyharju, only a few hours north-east of the more populous Helsinki area of southern Finland. Formerly a site for intensive commercial forestry, the Repovesi area successfully transformed into a pristine national park. Pine and birch trees dominate the park. Repovesi abounds with wildlife including bear, deer and various birds. The River Koukunjoki cuts through the park. Other streams and lakes are also situated within the parks boundaries. Attractions include the Olhavanvuori hill, popular among climbers, and the Kultareitti water taxi route. Also located in the park are the Kuutinlahti bay with its restored timber rafting channels, the Lapinsalmi suspension bridge, and many observation towers. The common fauna of the park includes the Red-throated Diver, the Eurasian Lynx, the moose, many owls and several galliformes.
Puuhamaa is an amusement park opened in 1984 in the village of Tervakoski, in the municipality of Janakkala, Finland. Instead of electrical rides, it mainly offers things to do for children: slides and waterslides, bouncy castles, race tracks, etc. It also has a minigolf course and a video arcade. Its attendance peaks at roughly 5,000 children a day. The park has an entrance fee, but all its features are free.
Särkänniemi is an amusement park in Tampere, Finland. The park features an aquarium, a planetarium, a children's zoo, an art museum, an observation tower, an amusement park, and the world's northernmost dolphinarium. Särkänniemi is the second most popular amusement park in Finland, after Linnanmäki in Helsinki. Särkänniemi has five rollercoasters: inverted coaster Tornado, flying coaster Trombi, MotoGee, Half Pipe, and family coaster Vauhtimato. Särkänniemi is owned by the city of Tampere and attracts about 1.100.000 visitors per annum.
Finnish National Gallery
Finnish National Gallery is the largest art museum institution of Finland. It consists of the Ateneum art museum, the museum of contemporary art, Kiasma, the Sinebrychoff Art Museum and the Central Art Archives. The organization's functions are supported by the conservation department, the administration and services department and Kehys, the art museum development department.
Koli National Park
Koli National Park is a national park in the municipalities of Joensuu, Lieksa and Kontiolahti in the North Karelia region of Finland. It covers 30 square kilometres in the forested hills on the western shore of lake Pielinen, and was established in 1991. Contrary to the other national parks in Finland, Koli National Park was originally governed by the Finnish Forest Research Institute Metla. It is now governed by the Metsähallitus like the other national parks. Koli has lots to offer cultural heritage-wise. Formerly, it was a sacrificial site. Later it was used for slash-and-burn agriculture. The aim of Koli National Park isn't to reserve wild nature but traditional agricultural heritage is cherished in Koli. Some fields are slashed, burnt and re-cultivated and hay is cut yearly. Traditional Finnish breeds of cows and sheep are grazing in the meadows of Koli.
Oulanka National Park
Oulanka National Park is a national park in the Northern Ostrobothnia and Lapland regions of Finland, covering 270 square kilometres. It was established in 1956 and was expanded again in 1982 and 1989, and it borders with Paanajärvi National Park in Russia. The first inhabitants in the area were Sami people from Lapland who lived here until the end of the 17th century, which was when they had to give way to Finnish settlers. Although hunting, fishing and later farming was the primary occupation of the people who lived there, today the most notable activity in Oulanka is tourism. From the 1930s, the Finnish Tourist Association kept boats on the river and renovated the wooden cabins found across the park for accommodation purposes. These cabins can be used free of charge by any hikers in the area, given that they follow some basic guidelines and rules regarding the state of the cabins, the wood supply, and protecting the surrounding nature. From 2002, Oulanka was the first of the two Finnish national parks which became part of World Wide Fund for Nature's PAN Parks, the other one being the Southwestern Archipelago National Park.
Kastelholm Castle is a Swedish-built medieval castle located off Road 2 in Sund, Åland, Finland, approximately 25 km northeast of Mariehamn, overlooking a fjord to the south of the village of Kastelholm. Along with Hämeenlinna, Olavinlinna in Savonlinna, Raasepori, and Turku, Kastelholm is one of only five surviving Finnish medieval fortresses that are also considered to be architecturally substantial. Built in the 14th century, and held in fief during the Middle Ages by various nobles, feudal chiefs, and kings, it had significant period in the 15th and 16th centuries. Built in the 14th century, originally on a small island surrounded by moats filled with water and planted with several rows of poles, the castle has been of strategic importance in consolidating Swedish authority over the Baltic over the last several centuries; with several Swedish monarchs parading through the history. It was first damaged in the 1599 civil war when it came under king Charles IX control and was rebuilt by 1631. The castle was gutted and ruined in 1745. In the 1930s, it was partially used as a granary. However, since then it has been refurbished and is now an important part of the tourist circuit in Åland.
Lemmenjoki National Park
Lemmenjoki National Park is situated in area of municipalities of Inari and Kittilä, Lapland, in Northern Finland. It was founded in 1956 and has since been expanded twice. Its total area is 2,850 square kilometres, making it the biggest national park of Finland and one of the largest in Europe. The park is named after the Lemmenjoki River, an 80 kilometres long river running through it. The park is partly bordered by the Øvre Anarjóhka National Park in Norway. Around 100 people can be seen digging gold in the area in the summer on 40 claims. Most of the people in the park – around 10,000 people per year – are backpackers, though. There are about 60 kilometres marked paths in the national park, and even some bridges and boats are put up for travelers. There are more than ten free wilderness huts in the park and three chargeable, bookable ones. The gold-digging area contains two small airfields, Martiniiskonpalo and Keurulainen. They can be used for landing or taking off with small propeller planes.
Urho Kekkonen National Park
Urho Kekkonen National Park is a national park in Lapland, Finland, situated in area of municipalities of Savukoski, Sodankylä and Inari. Established in 1983 and covering 2,550 square kilometres, it is one of Finland's largest protected areas. It is named after Urho Kekkonen, late President and Prime Minister of Finland. The Suomujoki river flows through the northern parts of the diverse park. The marked paths in its western part are an easy destination even for the inexperienced backpacker, whereas the wilderness is good for long and demanding trips. Most trips to Urho Kekkonen National Park are started from the Kiilopää fell center, the Aittajärvi lake along the Suomujoki river, or Raja-Jooseppi, and backpackers usually end up nearby the Saariselkä fell line, for instance on the top of its highest fell, Sokosti. Reindeer herding is still a common livelihood in the area.
World Heritage Site
Old Rauma is the wooden city centre of the town of Rauma, Finland. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The area of Old Rauma is about 0.3 km², with approximately six hundred buildings and about 800 people living in the area. The town of Rauma expanded outside the Old Rauma proper only in the early 19th century. The oldest buildings date from the 18th century, as two fires of 1640 and 1682 destroyed the town. Most buildings are currently inhabited and owned by private individuals, although along the two main streets and around the town square they are mainly out side in business use. Locations of special interest include the Kirsti house, which is a seaman's house from the 18th and 19th centuries, and the Marela house, which is a shipowner's house dating to the 18th century but with a 19th century facade, both of which are currently museums. Other sights include the rare stone buildings of the Old Rauma: the Church of the Holy Cross, an old Franciscan monastery church from the 15th century with medieval paintings and the old town hall from 1776. Another church in Rauma, the Church of the Holy Trinity, also from the 15th century, burned in the fire of 1640.
The Pommern, formerly the Mneme, is a windjammer. She is a four-masted barque that was built in 1903 in Glasgow at the J. Reid & Co shipyard. The Pommern is one of the Flying P-Liners, the famous sailing ships of the German shipping company F. Laeisz. Later she was acquired by Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn in the Finnish Åland archipelago, who used her to carry grain from the Spencer Gulf area in Australia to harbours in England or Ireland until the start of World War II. After World War Two, she was donated to the town of Mariehamn as a museum ship. She is now a museum ship belonging to the Åland Maritime Museum and is anchored in western Mariehamn, Åland. A magnificent collection of photographs taken by Ordinary Seaman Peter Karney in 1933 showing dramatic pictures of life on a sailing ship rounding Cape Horn can be found in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich. The Pommern has a reputation of a "lucky ship". She survived both world wars unscathed, has lost only four crew members at sea on her journeys and she has won the Great Grain Races twice, 1930 and 1937. She is one of the most popular landmarks of Åland and annually visited by thousands of visitors.
Helvetinjärvi National Park
Helvetinjärvi National Park is a national park in the Pirkanmaa region in Finland. It is located in the municipality of Ruovesi and has an area of 49.8 square kilometres. The park was founded in 1982 and is managed by the Metsähallitus. The park represents the wild forests of the Tavastia region. The area includes deep gorges and rugged scenery formed by faults running through the bedrock. The most impressive attraction is the cleft Helvetinkolu at the south-eastern end of Lake Helvetinjärvi.
Wasalandia Amusement Park is a amusement park in Vaasa with 26 rides. The park is for the whole family and has information written in finnish, swedish and english. Wasalandia is part of Aspro and is Finland's fifth biggest park. Rides The park have 27 rides for the whole family. The park got a new coaster 2013 called "Cyclone". It´s a ten years old coaster from Austria. It takes 2 minutes to ride it and is 14m tall. The most popular rides is "Cyclone" and "Water Rafter". The park also has a ferris wheel, called "Vaasa wheel", which is 18m high. Restaurants and stores Wasalandia have four restaurants with C - rights and alcohol. They are split up in the big park. The park also has stores with candy and souvenirs. To the park It´s 300 meters from Vaasa centrum and there is a little train that can hold about 30 people. More information is on Wasalandias webpage.
Seitseminen National Park
Seitseminen National Park is located in the municipalities of Ikaalinen and Ylöjärvi in Finland. The national park was established in 1982 and later expanded in 1989. It now covers 45.5 square kilometres. The park is a typical mix of upland and lowland coniferous boreal forests of the Suomenselkä watershed region. Upland areas are dominated by closed productive stands of Norway Spruce and Scots Pine while lowland areas are covered by sphagnum swamp and bog areas that also contain stunted and shrublike. These swamp and bog areas appear to be barren due to the sparse tree densities. Parts of the park contain some of the most ancient and oldest forests that are accessible to public in Finland. The Kovero Farm, a tenant farm established in 1859, is part of the cultural heritage area of the park. Seitseminen National Park received the European Diploma of Protected Areas on June 19, 1996. It was valid until June 2011.
The Sibelius Monument is dedicated to the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius. The monument is located at the Sibelius Park in the district of Töölö in Helsinki, the capital city of Finland. The monument was designed by Eila Hiltunen and unveiled on September 7, 1967. Originally it sparked a lively debate about the merits and flaws of abstract art, for which reason an effigy of Sibelius was included in the work. It consists of series of more than 600 hollow steel pipes welded together in a wave-like pattern. The purpose of the artist was to capture the essence of the music of Sibelius. The monument weighs 24 tonnes and measures 8.5 × 10.5 × 6.5 metres. A smaller version of the monument is located at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. A work with a similar concept, also designed by Hiltunen, is located at the grounds of the United Nations headquarters in New York City.
The Tampere Hall is the largest concert and congress centre in the Nordic countries, located in the southern edge of Sorsapuisto, in the centre of Tampere, Finland. Opposite of the Tampere Hall is the main building of the University of Tampere, and the Tampere railway station is only half a kilometre away. The main auditorium has capacity of 1,756 seats. Due to its central location, Tampere Hall hosts many small fairs, including the first ever Finncon in Tampere. The Tampere Opera and the Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra are also based there. The Managing Director of the Tampere Hall is Paulina Ahokas. Previous Managing Directors have included Carl Öhman, Kaarina Suonio, and Kalervo Kummola. As of the year 2012, the Tampere Hall has been nominated five times as the best congress venue in Finland.
Parliament House, Helsinki
Parliament House is the seat of the Parliament of Finland. It is located in the Finnish capital of Helsinki, in the district of Töölö.
Ranua Wildlife Park
Ranua Wildlife Park is a zoo that opened in 1983 in the municipality of Ranua, Lapland, Finland. It is the northernmost zoo in the world. The zoo's animals consist of approximately 50 wild animal species and 200 individuals, including top predators such as lynx, brown bears and wolves but also European moose and deers. The zoo has Finland's only polar bears in artificial snow. The Ranua Wildlife Park is an accredited member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria.
The Tampere Cathedral is a church in Tampere, Finland, and the seat of the Diocese of Tampere. The building was designed in the National Romantic style by Lars Sonck, and built between 1902 and 1907. The cathedral is famous for its frescoes, painted by the symbolist Hugo Simberg between 1905 and 1906. The paintings aroused considerable adverse criticism in their time, featuring versions of Simberg's The Wounded Angel and The Garden of Death. Of particular controversy was Simberg's painting of a winged serpent on a red background in the highest point of the ceiling, which some contemporaries interpreted as a symbol of sin and corruption. The altar-piece, representing the future resurrection of people of all races, was painted by Magnus Enckell.
Jokioinen Museum Railway
The Jokioinen Museum Railway is located in Jokioinen, Finland. It is based on the last narrow gauge railway in Finland, the 750 mm gauge Jokioinen Railway. The museum was born on February 2, 1978, 4 years after the discontinued operation of the actual railway, when the specifically established Joint stock company Jokioinen Museum Railway Ltd. have bought the Minkiö-Jokioinen Railway line with its land and buildings. Museum steam train began running the same year. In 1994 the line was extended with a 8 km stretch between Minkiö and Humppila. The museum railway station at Humppila is beside the station of the Turku-Toijala VR line, providing a convenient access to the museum. The Minkiö station has a narrow gauge museum with a collection of carriages and locomotives. There are a number other attractions in the vicinity of the railway.
Natural History Museum of Helsinki
The Natural History Museum of Helsinki is an exhibition of the Finnish Museum of Natural History of the University of Helsinki. The museum is located in Etu-Töölö in central Helsinki. The museum building was originally established as a gymnasium for Russian students in 1913, and adopted by the University in 1923. The museum displays taxidermed animals, skeletons, remains of prehistoric animals, and minerals. The first floor houses a bone exhibition; in the upper floors there are exhibitions of the Finnish nature, the nature of the world, and the history of life. The moose statue in front of the museum is its best known symbol. The lobby hall is dominated by a taxidermed African elephant. The museum also has a cafe and a souvenir shop. The total floor area of the museum is around 8,000 square metres.
Torronsuo National Park
Torronsuo National Park is a national park in the Tavastia Proper region of Finland. Even before its declaration as a national park in 1990, the near-natural state swamp area was a protected area. Its area is 25.5 square kilometres. The park area is a typical ombrotrophic raised bog – a thick turf layer with its middle part raising above its edges. The turf layer is one of the thickest measured among Finnish bogs, locally extending to 12 metres. Torronsuo is valuable for its birdlife and butterfly species. Roughly a hundred species nest in the area. Part of the birds and insects are species that typically live in the northern areas, and they aren't seen much elsewhere in southern Finland.
Kolovesi National Park
Kolovesi National Park is a national park in the Southern Savonia region of Finland. It was established in 1990 and covers 23 km². It protects e.g. the habitat of the critically endangered Saimaa Ringed Seal. Typical of the rugged scenery of Kolovesi, formed by the ice age, are craggy cliffs rising from the water. Cave paintings have been discovered in the area.
Pyhä-Luosto National Park
Pyhä-Luosto National Park is a national park in Lapland, Finland. It was established in 2005 when Finland's oldest national park, Pyhätunturi National Park was joined to Luosto. This makes Pyhä-Luosto Finland's oldest but at the same time newest national park. The new park covers 142 square kilometres. The most important features are geological specialities, old forests and wetlands. The park's base is formed by Finland's southernmost, 12-peak tunturi line. The tunturis are remnants of Alp-like mountains of 2 billion years of age. 200-year-old or older pine tree forests grow on the hills. The highest tunturis are Noitatunturi, 540 m, and Ukko-Luosto, 514 m.
Military Museum of Finland
The Military Museum of Finland is the central museum of the Finnish Defence Forces and the national special museum of military history. It is located in Helsinki and it is part of the Finnish National Defence University. Military Museums exhibitions in Kruununhaka and Suomenlinna had around 55 000 visitors in 2012. The most popular exhibition space is submarine Vesikko, visited by around 27 000 people annually. The Military Museum's task is to collect, preserve, research and display artefacts and other heritage related to the Defence Forces of Finland, to military history and to the history of weaponry.
Patvinsuo National Park
Patvinsuo National Park is a national park in the North Karelia region of Finland, in the municipalities of Lieksa and Ilomantsi. It was established in 1982 and covers 105 square kilometres. There are 80 kilometres of marked walking trails in the area.
Design Museum, Helsinki
Design Museum is a museum in Helsinki devoted to the exhibition of both Finnish and foreign design, including industrial design, fashion, and graphic design. The building is situated in Kaartinkaupunki, on Korkeavuorenkatu Street, and is owned by the Republic of Finland through Senate Properties. The museum, which is 140 years old and one of the oldest in the world – was first founded in 1873 but has operated in its present premises, a former school, designed by architect Gustaf Nyström in 1894 in the neo-Gothic style, since 1978. The museum also has a cafe and shop. Situated on the same city block is the Museum of Finnish Architecture. The museum includes a permanent exhibition devoted to the history of Finnish design from 1870 to the present day, as well as space for changing exhibitions. The museum's permanent collection consists of over 75,000 objects, 40,000 drawings and 100,000 drawings. Design Museum arranges also international touring exhibitions and publishes books and exhibition catalogues. From museum's home page there is a free access to several web exhibitions on Finnish design, for example about production of Arabia Factory, Marimekko and designers Kaj Franck and Oiva Toikka. Latest web exhibition is about 1950–60s design – an iconic golden era of Finnish Design.
Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova
Aboa Vetus and Ars Nova is a museum in central Turku, Finland. The museum is housed in a building known as the Rettig palace, originally built in 1928. Aboa Vetus displays portions of the city dating back to medieval times, while Ars Nova is a museum of contemporary art. The museum was first opened in 1995 as two independent museums. Originally, plans were for only Ars Nova, the contemporary art museum, but during its construction a number of structures and artifacts dating back to the Middle Ages were discovered, and the archaeological excavation that was commissioned eventually transformed into Aboa Vetus. The two museums were combined in 2004 and Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova is now among the most popular tourist venues in the entire region of Finland Proper.
Linnansaari National Park
Linnansaari National Park is a national park in the Southern Savonia and Northern Savonia regions of Finland. It lies in the middle of the lake Haukivesi, a part of greater Saimaa. The National Park was established to conserve the valuable natural features of the Finnish lakeland. On the main island there's an old croft. Field burning is still practised on its fields to protect old forms of culture. A large part of the island is natural-state coniferous forest, with some herb-rich parts. The critically endangered Saimaa Ringed Seal inhabits the park.
Aviation Museum of Central Finland
The Aviation Museum of Central Finland is an aviation museum located near Jyväskylä Airport in Tikkakoski, Jyväskylä, Finland. The museum exhibits the aviation history of Finland, from the early 1900s until today. The museum is owned by the Foundation of Aviation Museum of Central Finland. The exhibition consists of aircraft, engines and aircrew equipment which has been used by the Finnish Air Force. The equipment of the Air Force Signals Museum has its own section. A large collection of scale models gives a wider perspective to the whole field of aviation. The museum is visited annually by some 25,000 persons.
Lauhanvuori National Park
Lauhanvuori National Park is a national park in the Southern Ostrobothnia region of Finland, on the border of Kauhajoki and Isojoki. It was established in 1982 and covers 53 square kilometres. The park is characterized by its pine forestland, spring brooks, and swamps.
Hiidenportti National Park
Hiidenportti National Park is a national park in Sotkamo in the Kainuu region of Finland. Hiidenportti National Park was established in 1982 to preserve the region's wilderness. A mosaic mix of mires and dry forests is typical landscape in this national park. The park covers 45 square kilometres. Two thirds of the area is coniferous forest. The near-natural state forests are 100–150 years old on average. The last loggings were made in the beginning of the 20th century. The most well-known attraction of the park is the Hiidenportti gulley with vertical cliffs.
Moomin Valley is situated in the city of Tampere, Finland. In the Moomin Valley Museum you can see original illustrations made by Tove Jansson, 40 miniatures, tableaux about Moomin events and a small Moomin House. There is a total of about 2,000 exhibits on display. You can also see the original Moomin Valley multimedia and visit the Moomin Valley shop which sells gift items and Moomin books in many languages.
Ainola, meaning "Aino's land", was the home of Jean Sibelius, his wife Aino and their family from the fall of 1904 until 1972. It stands on the scenic shores of Lake Tuusula in Järvenpää, 38 kilometers north of Helsinki, the Finnish capital. It was designed by the famous Finnish architect Lars Sonck. The only requests Sibelius had for Sonck were to include both a lakefront view and a green fireplace in the dining room. Water pipes were never installed until after Sibelius died because he didn't want the distraction while he was there composing. Its distance from the hustle and bustle of the nation's capital gave the composer the peace that he needed for his creative endeavours. Erik W. Tawaststjerna writes that "when Sibelius first left Helsinki, Järvenpää was to a large extent untouched countryside. Foals and sheep almost nosed their way into the house, and from time to time an elk majestically bestrode the grounds." There were also other artistic families living in the neighborhood who provided a lively social circle for the Sibelius family. Buildings around Ainola include the sauna and the family's personal workshop. Sibelius died at Ainola on September 20, 1957; he is buried in a garden there. His wife Aino lived in Ainola for the next twelve years until she died on June 8, 1969. She is buried there with her husband.
Rokua National Park
Rokua National Park is a national park in the Northern Ostrobothnia and Kainuu regions of Finland. The national park is located on the southern side of the Rokuanvaara Hill, where old pine forests grow in their natural state.
EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art
The EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art, is a major art museum in Espoo in southern Finland. After the founding of Espoo Art Museum Foundation in September 2002, EMMA opened its doors for visitors in 2006. With its 5000 square metre exhibition space, it is the largest museum in the whole of Finland. The permanent exhibition presents a selection from The Saastamoinen Foundation Art Collection and the other half the changing domestic and international exhibitions. It is housed in the WeeGee house, a building complex which contains five museums, a modern art gallery, a media-art centre, a café, a museum shop and an art school. The centre was named after the printing firm Weilin+Göös.
Tykkimäki is an amusement park in Kouvola, Finland. It has 30 different rides, along with some restaurants and kiosks. A camping site and Lake Käyrälampi are located near Tykkimäki. Many of Tykkimäki's rides are preowned rides bought from other parks, most often from Linnanmäki or Särkänniemi. The latest ride relocation happened in 2007, when Tykkimäki opened the Kouvola-pyörä Ferris wheel, which had been at Linnanmäki over 40 years.
Siida is a museum located on Lake Inari in the village of Inari in Inari, Finland. It is home to the Sámi Museum and Northern Lapland Nature Centre. Siida arranges exhibitions on Sámi culture and the nature of Northern Lapland. In addition, Siida has an open-air museum open in the summers, which was originally known as the Inari Sámi Museum. The first buildings were moved to the museum grounds in 1960. The 7-hectare area has nearly 50 sites of interest related to Lapland's nature and the Sámi and their culture. Furthermore, the area is where the earliest settlers in Northern Lapland lived and archaeological finds from approximately 9,000 years ago have been found.
Riisitunturi National Park
Riisitunturi National Park is a national park in Posio, Finnish Lapland. It was established in 1982 and covers 77 square kilometres. The park is on a mountainous area, and there are also many swamps, especially hillside swamps. The only wilderness hut in the park is located near the twin-peak Riisitunturi, 465.3 m.
Amos Anderson Art Museum
Amos Anderson Art Museum is a museum in Helsinki, Finland. This art museum has paintings by Francesco Bassano, Paul Signac, Louis Valtat, Roger Fry, Alfred Finch, Ragnar Ekelund, Magnus Enckell, Eero Nellimarkka, Tyko Sallinen, Tove Janson, and the Swedish painter Palm.
Valkmusa National Park
Valkmusa National Park is a national park in the Kymenlaakso region of Finland. It was established in 1996 and covers 17 square kilometres. The national park comprises swamp land, extraordinarily representing in southern Finland. More than 30 different swamp types can be categorised in the area. The park has a diverse birdlife. Characteristic of the species is abundant southern avifauna, and on the other hand the occurrence of northern species, such as the Willow Grouse and Rustic Bunting. The park is an important resting place for migratory birds. There is a very representing butterfly species in the area, which comprises many endangered species. The symbol species of the park is Idaea muricata.
Museum of Finnish Architecture
The Museum of Finnish Architecture is an architectural museum in Helsinki, Finland. Established in 1956, it is the second oldest museum of its kind devoted specifically to architecture. The museum was founded on the basis of the photographic collection of the Finnish Association of Architects, which was established in 1949. The museum is on Kasarmikatu street in Ullanlinna, housed in a neo-classical building, designed by architect Magnus Schjerfbeck and completed in 1899. The building was originally in the use of a scientific society and the University of Helsinki. The museum took over use of the building in 1981, before which it had been housed in a former wooden pavilion in Kaivopuisto Park. Occupying the same city block as the Museum of architecture is the Design Museum. In 1984 an architectural competition was arranged for a new building to be built in the gap between the two buildings, this linking them together as a single institution. The competition was won by architects Helin and Siitonen, but the project was abandoned soon afterwards, due to logistics and problems of finance. The building is currently owned by the State of Finland through Senate Properties.
Helsinki City Art Museum
Helsinki City Art Museum or Helsinki Art Museum is an art museum in Helsinki, Finland. It has exhibitions in two main locations: Meilahti Art Museum in Meilahti, near Tamminiemi, and the Tennis Palace Art Museum near the city centre. The museum also manages the Kluuvi Gallery.
Sammallahdenmäki is a Bronze age burial site in Finland in Lappi municipality. It was designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1999, and includes 36 granite burial cairns dating back more than 3,000 years, to 1,500 to 500 BC. It is located on a hill in a remote area off the road between Tampere and Rauma. Originally, it was near the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, but the land has risen so it is now 15 kilometers from the sea. It is one of the most important Bronze Age sites in Scandinavia. Four of the cairns were excavated by archaeologist Volter Högman in 1891, including Kirkonlaattia, an unusual rectangular cairn covering 16 x 19 metres with a flat top, and Huilun pitkä raunio, which is surrounded by an ancient stone wall.
Kurjenrahka National Park
Kurjenrahka National Park is a national park in Finland Proper. It was established in 1998 and covers 29 square kilometres. The area consists mainly of swamp but also includes primeval forests, some of which have been unmanaged for over 150 years. The Eurasian Lynx is a permanent resident of Kurjenrahka, but brown bears and gray wolves have also been observed and are known to reside in areas within or close to the park. Marked trails in the general area extend to over 200 km. ⁕ The swamp Vajosuo in Kurjenrahka National Park. ⁕ Swamp-shored lake Lakjärvi in Kurjenrahka National Park.
Langinkoski is a rapid on the Kymi river in Kotka, Finland.
The Mannerheim Museum is located in Helsinki, Finland. It is dedicated to preserving and displaying items related to the life and times of Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, a Finnish statesman and military officer. The Mannerheim Museum is located on top of a hill in a prestigious residential area next to the Kaivopuisto park in Helsinki. The building was the home of Mannerheim from 1924 to 1951. With the exception of a few rooms that have been converted for exhibition purposes, his home has been preserved in its original state.
Kaleva Church is a church located in Kaleva, Tampere, Finland, and designed by Reima and Raili Pietilä. It was built in 1964–1966.
Tarvaspää or the Gallen-Kallela Museum, located in Espoo, Finland and built between 1911 and 1913 was a home and studio for Finnish painter Akseli Gallen-Kallela. Tarvaspää has been a museum since 1961.
Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park
Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park is the third-largest national park in Finland, located in the Lapland region, in the municipalities of Enontekiö, Kittilä, Kolari and Muonio. It was formally established in 2005, when Pallas-Ounastunturi National Park was joined with Ylläs-Aakenus protected area. It is the third largest national park in Finland, covering 1,020 square kilometres. The high fells of the park are the southernmost place to see some arctic species in Finland. There are almost 100 kilometres of fell chain in the National Park. The highest fell in this chain is Taivaskero, which is 807 metres high. Most of the park consists of primeval forests and various types of muskeg. Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park has around 350 kilometres of marked hiking trails. There are several nature trails in the National Park, which are not very demanding and have information boards on the area’s natural features and culture. There are many options for day trips. The most popular hiking trail in Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park is the Hetta–Pallas Trail, which is 55 kilometres long. There are 14 nature trails in the National Park, of which 8 are in the Ylläs area, 4 in the Pallas area, and 2 are in the Ounastunturi Fells area.
Näsinneula is an observation tower in Tampere, Finland, overseeing Lake Näsijärvi. It was built in 1970–1971 and was designed by Pekka Ilveskoski. It is the tallest free-standing structure in Finland and the tallest observation tower in the Nordic countries at a height of 168 metres. The tower opened in 1971 and is located in the Särkänniemi amusement park. There is a revolving restaurant in the tower 124 metres above the ground; one revolution takes 45 minutes. The design of Näsinneula was inspired by the Space Needle in Seattle. The idea of a revolving restaurant was taken from the Puijo tower in Kuopio. The base of the tower is at about 15 metres of elevation from lake Näsijärvi. There are two elevators, made by Valmet-Schlieren. The elevators go up to a height of 120 metres, to the Pilvilinna café. The restaurant is one story higher. The elevator ride to the top takes 27 seconds with a maximum speed of 6 m/s and the elevators carry a maximum of 16 people. The elevators are still the fastest public elevators in Finland. In the event of a blackout, the tower's own diesel emergency generator will start. In an emergency people can be evacuated with stairs that have 700 steps.
Petäjävesi Old Church
The Petäjävesi Old Church is a wooden church located in Petäjävesi, Finland. It was built between 1763 and 1765. The bell tower was built in 1821. It was inscribed in 1994 on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The church is located about 1 km to the west of the centre of Petäjävesi. The church went out of use in 1879 when the new church was built. The old church has retained its original appearance and its interior decoration exceptionally well. It is a popular church for weddings in the summer, and there is a church service on most Sundays.
Wäinö Aaltonen Museum of Art
Wäinö Aaltonen Museum of Art or WAM for short, is an art museum in central Turku, Finland dedicated especially to modern art. The museum is located on the east bank of the Aura River. The permanent exhibition is based on the art collection of City of Turku, which includes a large collection of works by Finnish artist and sculptor Wäinö Aaltonen. Temporary exhibitions focus on Finnish and international modern art.
Finnish Museum of Natural History
The Finnish Museum of Natural History, established in 1988, is a research institution under the University of Helsinki in Finland. It is responsible for the national botanical, zoological, geological and paleontological collections consisting of samples from around the world. The collections serve scientific, public informational and educational purposes.
Northern Ostrobothnia museum
The Northern Ostrobothnia museum is a museum of cultural history. This provincial museum focuses on the city of Oulu and its the surrounding Northern Ostrobothnia region. The museum is situated in the Ainola Park in the Myllytulli neighbourhood in Oulu, Finland. The museum was founded in 1896 and it was maintained by a museum society until 1969, when the ownership was handed over to the city of Oulu. Between the years 1911–1929 the museum operated in an old wooden villa Villa Ainola, which was destroyed in a fire on July 9, 1929. Some of the collections of the museum were also destroyed. Soon after the fire the current museum building was started to be built on the site of the old villa. The new stone house was completed in 1931. The building was designed by a Finnish architect Oiva Kallio. Oulu City Library was also located in the building until 1982. The basic exhibition extends in all the other floors of the building except the bottom floor, which is dedicated to the changing exhibitions and an exhibition for the children. The exhibition for the children is which is based on the Doghill books by Finnish children's author Mauri Kunnas. The ground floor hosts a large scale model of Oulu city centre in the year 1938 before the bombings of World War II.
Didrichsen Art Museum, Helsinki
Didrichsen Art Museum is an art museum in Helsinki, Finland. The museum will be closed during major repairs from May 2013 until September 2014.
Tiilikkajärvi National Park
Tiilikkajärvi National Park is a national park in the Northern Savonia and Kainuu regions of Finland. It was established in 1982 and covers 34 square kilometres. Southern and northern natural features mix in this park forming an ecotone of forest and swamp types. The Tiilikkajärvi lake is a barren 400 ha lake with beaches all around it, split in the middle by esker capes.
Nanoq is a museum in Jakobstad, Finland, specializing on arctic culture and Greenland in particular. The museum hosts an exhibition about famous polar expeditions and displays many items, e.g. the balloon gondola from S.A. Andrée's fateful expedition and material from the John Phipps expedition to Svalbard around 1770, as well as several documents that refer to the Norwegian explorers Fridtjof Nansen and Roald Amundsen.
Planet FunFun was an indoor amusement park located in Kerava, Finland. Originally the park was called Fanfaari but soon after the opening, new owners took over and renamed the park Planet FunFun. Among others the Hollywood director Renny Harlin was one of the new owners. The new name came partly as a pun from the old name, but partly it was influenced by the other business ventures of the new owners, especially Harlin's. At the time, Harlin was running a Planet Hollywood restaurant in Helsinki, so naming the amusement park Planet FunFun was also influenced by the name of the restaurant. After few years of operation, it was clear to the new owners too that Planet FunFun was not going to be commercially successful. This happened despite the fact that Harlin was one the most followed Finnish celebrities at the time, and he brought lots of "Hollywood things" to the park, such as film props from his films. In addition, he and the producer Markus Selin started the Finnish version of the television show American Gladiators, called Gladiaattorit, which was shot in the Planet FunFun. All of these efforts were short-lived and didn't do much to attract people to the park. So in 1995 the park was closed for good and the rides were sold other parks. Planet Hollywood restaurant was also closed and Gladiaattorit television show was cancelled, both around the same time that Planet FunFun closed.
Hallinportti Aviation Museum
The Hallinportti Aviation Museum is an aviation museum, located at Halli Airport in Kuorevesi, Jämsä, Finland.
Luostarinmäki Handicrafts Museum is an open air museum in Turku, Finland. The museum consists of 18 blocks of original 18th century – early 19th century buildings on their original location. The area of the museum was the only old residential area left in 1940, when the museum was opened. The location was the largest area to completely survive the Great Fire of Turku. Contemporary handicraft items are presented. The museum received the Golden Apple international tourism award as the only site in Scandinavia in 1984.
Syöte National Park
Syöte National Park is a national park in the Northern Ostrobothnia and Lapland regions of Finland. Syöte National Park is a chain of old-growth forests, part of which is high altitude forest. One fourth of the area of the park is covered by mires of different types.
Salamajärvi National Park
Salamajärvi National Park is a national park in the Central Ostrobothnia and Central Finland regions of Finland, in the municipalities of Perho, Kivijärvi and Kinnula. Salamajärvi is located in the rugged watershed region of Suomenselkä. This large, uninhabited area is especially known for its diverse mire ecosystems and its set of wilderness animals.
Isojärvi National Park
Isojärvi National Park is a national park in Central Finland. It covers 19 square kilometres and was established in 1982. Its scenery is fluctuating by its level and the vegetation is grovelike. Imprints of early human settlement and cultivation have been found in the area. The national park is located by the lake Isojärvi after which it has got its name.
Pyhä-Häkki National Park
Pyhä-Häkki National Park is a national park in Central Finland. It was established in 1956 and covers 13 square kilometres. Its foundation was planned already in the late 1930s, but the Second World War interrupted these plans. The national park protects old Scots pine and Norway spruce copses, which started growing when Finland was still under Swedish rule, and bogs, which comprise half of the national park. The national park is the largest remaining area of virgin forest in the southern half of Finland. In addition to the pine and the spruce, Betula pendula, Betula pubescens, Populus tremula, and Alnus glutinosa are the taller tree species encountered in the national park.
Liesjärvi National Park
Liesjärvi National Park is a national park in the Tavastia Proper region of Finland. Its area is 22 square kilometres. In 1920, part of the present-day national park area was already defined as protected area. The relatively small park area has over 40 kilometres of shoreline. As a whole, the national park is a slice of the near-natural state lake highlands of Häme. It includes the Korteniemi traditional estate, where visitors can try their skills in traditional agricultural work. There are camping places for travel trailers and tents.
Päijänne National Park
Päijänne National Park is a national park in Finland, in the southern parts of Lake Päijänne. It consists of 50 unbuilt islands and parts of inhabited islands. The national park has been established in 1993 and has an area of 14 square kilometres.
Petkeljärvi National Park
Petkeljärvi National Park is a national park in Ilomantsi in the North Karelia region of Finland. It was established in 1956 and covers 6 square kilometres. Its specialities are e.g. fortification from the Continuation War, some of which have been renovated, and valuable eskers. The park, along with Patvinsuo National Park, belongs to the North-Karelian biosphere reserves of UNESCO.
Helsinki Zoo is a zoo located in Korkeasaari.
Puurijärvi-Isosuo National Park
Puurijärvi-Isosuo National Park is a national park in the Pirkanmaa and Satakunta regions of Finland. It was established in 1993 and covers 27 km². The area consists mainly of large swamp areas and the Puurijärvi lake. Moreover, the alluvial shores of Kokemäenjoki are on almost natural state here.
Leivonmäki National Park
Leivonmäki National Park is a national park in Central Finland. It was established in 2003 and covers 29 square kilometres. Typical scenery consists of swamps, shores and esker forests.
Ålandsparken was an amusement park located in Mariehamn, the capital town of the Åland Islands, an autonomous, demilitarized, monolingually Swedish-speaking administrative province and region of Finland. The park was relatively small, because Åland is a small area, both geographically and in terms of population number and density. The native population is probably too small to support a permanent amusement park, but Ålandsparken was located near Silja Line and Viking Line terminals, so it attracted tourists coming from the mainland of Finland and Sweden. The annual number of visitors is said to have been around 40,000. Ålandsparken had a number of amusement rides and around 60 different coin-operated penny arcade machines. In addition, there were other attractions in the area, such as mini golf. During its operating years, the park grew from the 1980s to the 1990s and was permanently closed in the 2000s. The reasons for closing the park are to some extent unknown, but it is believed that the low number of visitors was not enough to support the park financially. There is a new park, called Mariepark nearby and partly on the same location as where Ålandsparken used to be. Mariepark is not, however, an amusement park like Ålandsparken was. Mariepark has some restaurants and a festival area for concerts and other events, but there are no amusement rides in the area.
Museum of Cultures, Helsinki
The Museum of Cultures, Helsinki is one of a number of museums operated by the organization of the National Board of Antiquities in Finland.
Jakobstad Museum is a city museum in the city of Jakobstad, Finland. It was founded in 1904, but worked as a private museum until 1906. The museum is a historic museum which is concentrated on maritime and ship building. The main building of the museum is called Malmska gården.