Top tourist attractions in Czech Republic
Here is a list of top tourist attractions in Czech Republic. Only the topmost tourist destinations are presented here. To see other destinations, please check the images from Czech Republic section.
Curious if any of these place from Czech Republic made it our best tourist attractions in the world list? Read the aformentioned article in order to find out.
You can also view all tourist attractions in Czech Republic and other countries on our tourist attractions map.
Prague Castle is a castle in Prague where the kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman emperors, and presidents of Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic have had their offices. The Bohemian Crown Jewels are kept within a hidden room inside it. The Guinness Book of Records lists Prague Castle as the largest ancient castle in the world. It occupies an area of almost 70,000 m², at about 570 meters in length and an average of about 130 meters wide.
The Charles Bridge is a famous historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic. Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15th century. The bridge replaced the old Judith Bridge built 1158–1172 that had been badly damaged by a flood in 1342. This new bridge was originally called the Stone Bridge or the Prague Bridge but has been the "Charles Bridge" since 1870. As the only means of crossing the river Vltava until 1841, the Charles Bridge was the most important connection between Prague Castle and the city's Old Town and adjacent areas. This "solid-land" connection made Prague important as a trade route between Eastern and Western Europe. The bridge is 621 m long and nearly 10 m wide, resting on 16 arches shielded by ice guards. It is protected by three bridge towers, two of them on the Lesser Quarter side and the third one on the Old Town side. The Old Town bridge tower is often considered to be one of the most astonishing civil gothic-style buildings in the world. The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style, originally erected around 1700 but now all replaced by replicas.
St. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Prague, and the seat of the Archbishop of Prague. The full name of the cathedral is St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert Cathedral. This cathedral is an excellent example of Gothic architecture and is the biggest and most important church in the country. Located within Prague Castle and containing the tombs of many Bohemian kings and Holy Roman Emperors, the cathedral is under the ownership of the Czech government as part of the Prague Castle complex. Cathedral dimensions are 124 x 60 meters, the main tower is 96.5 meters high, front towers 82 m, arch height 33.2 m.
Prague Zoo is a zoo in Prague, Czech Republic. It was opened in 1931 with the goal to "advance the study of zoology, protect wildlife, and educate the public" in the district of Troja in the north of Prague. The zoo occupies 45 hectares and houses about 4,400 animals that represent more than 690 species from all around the world. Prague Zoological Garden has contributed significantly to saving the Przewalski horse. For many years it was the biggest breeder of the species in the world. In 2007 Forbes Traveler Magazine listed Prague ZOO as the 7th best Zoo in the world
The Dancing House or Fred and Ginger is the nickname given to the Nationale-Nederlanden building in Prague, Czech Republic, at Rašínovo nábřeží. It was designed by the Croatian-Czech architect Vlado Milunić in co-operation with the renowned Canadian-American architect Frank Gehry on a vacant riverfront plot. The building was designed in 1992 and completed in 1996. The very non-traditional design was controversial at the time because the house stands out among the Baroque, Gothic and Art Nouveau buildings for which Prague is famous and in the opinion of some it does not accord well with these architectural styles. The then Czech president, Václav Havel, who lived for decades next to the site, had avidly supported this project, hoping that the building would become a center of cultural activity. Gehry originally named the house Fred and Ginger but this nickname is now rarely used; moreover, Gehry himself was later "afraid to import American Hollywood kitsch to Prague", so refuted his own idea.
Karlštejn Castle is a large Gothic castle founded 1348 AD by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor-elect and King of Bohemia. The castle served as a place for safekeeping the Imperial Regalia as well as the Bohemian/Czech crown jewels, holy relics, and other royal treasures. Located about 30 km southwest of Prague above the village of the same name, it is one of the most famous and most frequently visited castles in the Czech Republic.
Vyšehrad is a historical fort located in the city of Prague, Czech Republic. It was probably built in the 10th century, on a hill over the Vltava River. Situated within the castle is the Basilica of St Peter and St Paul, as well as the Vyšehrad Cemetery, containing the remains of many famous people from Czech history, among them Antonín Dvořák, Bedřich Smetana, Karel Čapek, and Alphonse Mucha. It also contains Prague's oldest surviving building, the Rotunda of St Martin from the 11th century. Local legend holds that Vyšehrad was the location of the first settlement which later became Prague, though thus far this claim remains unsubstantiated.
National Museum, Prague
The National museum is a Czech museum institution intended to systematically establish, prepare and publicly exhibit natural scientific and historical collections. It was founded 1818 in Prague by Kašpar Maria Šternberg. Historian František Palacký was also strongly involved. At present the National Museum houses almost 14 million items from the area of natural history, history, arts, music and librarianship, located in tens of buildings.
Bohemian Switzerland, also known as Czech Switzerland, is a picturesque region in the north-western Czech Republic. It lies on the Czech side of the Elbe Sandstone Mountains north of Děčín on both sides of the Elbe River. It extends eastward into the Lusatian Mountains and westward into the Ore Mountains. Its highest elevation is the mountain Děčínský Sněžník at 726m above sea level. It has been a protected area since 1972. The region along the right side of the Elbe became a national park on January 1, 2000, the České Švýcarsko National Park. The National Park is adjacent to the Saxon Switzerland National Park in Germany.
Prague National Gallery
The National Gallery in Prague is a state-owned art gallery in Prague, which manages the largest collection of art in the Czech Republic. The collections of the gallery are not housed in a single building, but are presented in a number of historic structures within the city of Prague, as well as other places. The largest of the gallery sites is the Veletržní Palác, which houses the National Gallery's collection of modern art.
Bohemian Paradise is a Protected Area. It was declared in 1955 as the first nature reserve in the Czech Republic. At first it was 95 square kilometres in area; today it is almost 182. This area is in the north of Bohemia and north-eastward from the capital city Prague. Borders of this district are not given, but there are some towns which could demarcate rough borders, for example, Turnov, Jičín and Mnichovo Hradiště. This piece of land is popular thanks to a beautiful and varied countryside. There are a lot of places which should be seen. People can go for a walk and admire many natural beauties; they can drive to many castles, chateaus, ruins, museums, and other sights. ⁕ Trosky Castle: symbol of Bohemian Paradise ⁕ "Rock Town" Hrubá Skála ⁕ Dwelling in rock ⁕ Valečov Castle ⁕ ⁕ Trosky Castle
Petřín Lookout Tower
The Petřín Lookout Tower is a 63.5 metre high steel framework tower in Prague, which strongly resembles the Eiffel Tower. Although it is much shorter than the Eiffel Tower, it stands atop a sizable hill, Petřín, so the top is actually at a higher altitude than that of the Eiffel Tower. The Petřínská rozhledna was built in 1891 and was used as an observation tower as well as a transmission tower. Today the Petřínská rozhledna is a major tourist attraction. If you go up the hard way, the hill is roughly a half-hour walk up paths that get quite slippery when it snows, and the tower is a shorter but fairly tiring climb; however, the hill is served by a frequent funicular and the tower has an elevator for disabled persons. There is a gift shop and a small cafeteria on the main level. On the lowest level is a small exhibition area. Current exhibition displays Merkur Observation Towers and is held from March 6, 2013 to March 30, 2014.
Dvůr Králové Zoo
Dvůr Králové Zoo is a 72-hectare zoo located in Dvůr Králové nad Labem, Czech Republic. Dvůr Králové Zoo is a member of the Czech and Slovak Union of Zoological Gardens, founded in 1990, with 15 Czech and 4 Slovak member Zoos. From 1995 to 2010, Dvůr Králové Zoo was member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria. From 1997 to 2012, Dvůr Králové Zoo was member of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo’s specialization is African fauna. Their rarest animal is the Northern white rhino.
The Municipal House is a civic building and concert hall located in Prague, Czech Republic. It's located on Náměstí Republiky 5 next to the Powder Gate.
Museum Kampa is a modern art gallery in Prague, Czech Republic, showing central European work. The pieces are from the private collection of Meda Mladek, wife of Jan V. Mladek. The museum opened in 2003 and is housed in Sova's Mills on the eastern bank of the Kampa Island on the River Vltava. There is a large sculpture of a chair by Magdalena Jetelova outside the museum, which is a prominent landmark visible from across the Vltava.
National Technical Museum
The National Technical Museum in Prague is the largest institution dedicated to preserving information and artifacts related to the history of technology in the Czech Republic. The museum was founded in 1908 and has been in its current location since 1941. The museum has large exhibits representing approximately 15% of its total collection. The museum also manages substantial archives consisting of approximately 3,500 linear shelf meters of archival material and about 250,000 books. In 2001 the museum opened a Railroad Museum that contains about 100 railway vehicles. The 2002 European floods caused damage to some 200 cubic metres of documents at the museum - in a location separate to the main building. Work involved in drying and restoring the materials is expected to continue until 2013. The National Technical Museum was closed in September 2006 for extensive renovations. Reopening was at first scheduled for February 2008, and eventually took place in February 2011.
Prague Aviation Museum, Kbely
Prague Aviation Museum, Kbely is a major aviation museum located at Prague's original airport at Kbely, 8 km north-east of the town centre near Route 10.
Podyjí National Park
Podyjí National Park is a national park in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. It protects near-natural forests along the deep Dyje River valley. It is a biom whose well-preserved state is unique in Central Europe. It connects to the smaller Nationalpark Thayatal in Austria.
The Metronome is a giant, functional metronome in Letná Park, overlooking the Vltava River and the city center of Prague. It was erected in 1991, on the plinth left vacant by the destruction in 1962 of an enormous monument to former Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. The 75-foot-tall Metronome is now mostly a scenic vista and a meeting place for young people. It was designed by international artist Vratislav Novak. The area behind the metronome is also a popular skatespot where skateboarders from Europe and around the world congregate and film throughout the year.
Maisel Synagogue is a synagogue in Josefov, Prague, Czech Republic. It was built in 1590-1592, designed by Josef Wahl and Juda Goldsmied and paid by Mordechai Maisel. The synagogue burnt down in 1689 and was then rebuilt in baroque style. It was again rebuilt in 1893-1905. It was Hitler's intended "Museum of the Extinct Race". It serves today as a Jewish Museum, part of the collection of the Jewish Museum in Prague.
Bertramka is a villa in Prague notable because of visits by Mozart. Now it is a museum dedicated to the memory of Mozart and to the former owners and Mozart’s hosts: Mr and Mrs Dušek.
House of the Black Madonna
The House of the Black Madonna is a cubist building in the "Old Town" area of Prague, Czech republic. It was designed by Josef Gočár. It is currently in use as the Czech Museum of Cubism and includes the Grand Café Orient restaurant on the first floor. The House of the Black Mother, sometimes referred to as Black Mother of the Lord, was designed and built between 1911 and 1912 on the corner of Celetná Street and Ovocný trh. Josef Gočár built the house as the first example of cubist architecture in Prague, and it remains probably the most celebrated. Even without historical details of the baroque building surrounding it, the House at the Black Madonna maintains the atmosphere of the neighborhood. The house was given its name by the stone sculpture that originally adorned one of the two Baroque buildings on the same lot. After many years altered use in the interwar period and under communist rule, the house was closed in January 2002 and re-opened after extensive restoration in November 2003.
Bítov Castle is a castle located on a steep promotory towering above the meandering River Želetavka, near the Vranov reservoir, in the village of Bítov, some 25 km northwest of Znojmo, Czech Republic. Built in the 11th century, Bítov is one of the oldest and largest Moravian castles. A Přemyslid fortified settlement originally stood on the site and included the Chapel of Our Lady. The fort was rebuilt in the first half of the 13th century as an impregnable Gothic castle guarding the southern boundaries of the Přemyslid lands. In the 14th century a new inner ward was built along with Late Gothic fortifications. The Lords of Bítov became the new owners of the castle and based themselves here for four centuries. They carried out further improvements to the defensive capabilities of the castle. Bítov finally underwent Baroque remodelling, and gained its present form at the beginning of the 19th century, when it passed into the hands of the Counts of Daun. The descendants of Marshal Daun, the famous military leader, rebuilt the castle in the spirit of the Romantic style. Between 1811 and 1845 the richly-decorated state rooms were created, on the basis of proposals of Anton Schuler. The culmination of the re-Gothicising work was the remodelling of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin by Viennense architect Anton Rucker, who left the original Gothic furnishings. At the end of the 20th century, Bítov underwent extensive refurbishment.
Antonín Dvořák Museum
The Antonín Dvořák Museum in Prague is a museum dedicated to the great Czech composer Antonín Dvořák. It is part of the Czech Museum of Music which in turn is part of the complex of the National Museum. It is housed in a baroque building which was designed by the famous architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer at the beginning of the 18th century. Although the house itself has no particular link with the composer the Antonín Dvořák museum has been housed there since 1932. It is situated in the north part of the New Town, about 15 minutes walk from the city centre. The museum displays photographs, newspaper cuttings, programmes and personal objects relating to the composer, including his viola and his piano. The building houses a unique collection of his manuscripts and correspondence, thus providing an important centre for research into Antonín Dvořák. Concerts are held there regularly, as well as seminars, lectures and exhibitions. The museum also organize an annual ceremony on the eve of the day of his death at his grave in the Vyšehrad cemetery just south of the New Town district. There is also a matinee celebration on his birthday at his birthplace in Nelahozeves. The museum also takes care of the village house of his son-in-law, Josef Suk. There are also commemorative centres connected with Dvořák at other locations: there is a permanent exhibition at his country estate in Vysoká near Příbram, one in Zlonice and a memorial hall in Sychroy Castle near Turnov.
The Naprstek Museum is a museum of Asian, African and American art is one of several permanent exhibitions of National Muzeum at Bethlehem Square which is located in the compound of former brewery and wine-making U Halanku at the Old Town. Originially private museum was founded in 1862 by Czech patriot, patron of the arts, politician and national revitalist Vojtech Naprstek in his former family brewery as Czech Industrial Muzeum which after his death became Ethnographic Museum and after WWII it has been focused on outside European cultures. In the 19th century it served as one of the cultural and educational centres of Czech intelligentsia. A lot of its collections comes from Mr Naprstek and his friends from czech expatriates, travellers and ethnographers. The museum itself has huge collections from which publicly available is only a part.