Top tourist attractions in Armenia
Here is a list of top tourist attractions in Armenia. Only the topmost tourist destinations are presented here. To see other destinations, please check the images from Armenia section.
Curious if any of these place from Armenia made it our best tourist attractions in the world list? Read the aformentioned article in order to find out.
You can also view all tourist attractions in Armenia and other countries on our tourist attractions map.
Mount Aragats is a large andesitic-to-dacitic stratovolcano in northwest Armenia about 40 km northwest of the capital city of Yerevan. It is the highest point in Armenia, located in the province of Aragatsotn, northwest from Yerevan. On its slopes are the Byurakan Observatory and the medieval Amberd Fortress. The observatory is a historically significant facility responsible for a number of important photographic surveys. The 4,090 m high main edifice of Aragats is dissected by glaciers and is of Pliocene-to-Pleistocene age. However, parasitic cones and fissures are on all sides of the volcano and were the source of large lava flows that descended its lower flanks. Several of these were considered to be of Holocene age, but later Potassium-Argon dating indicated mid- to late-Pleistocene ages. The youngest lower-flank flows have not been precisely dated but are constrained as occurring between the end of the late-Pleistocene and 3000 BC. A 13-km-long, WSW-ENE-trending line of craters and pyroclastic cones cuts across the northern crater rim and is the source of young lava flows and lahars; the latter were considered to be characteristic of Holocene summit eruptions. The Western and Southern slopes of Mt. Aragats are home to many petroglyphs dating from the Mesolithic to the Iron Age.
The Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts, commonly referred to as the Matenadaran, is a repository of ancient manuscripts, research institute and museum located in Yerevan, Armenia. It holds one of the world's richest depositories of medieval manuscripts and books which span a broad range of subjects, including history, philosophy, medicine, literature, art history and cosmography in Armenian and many other languages.
World Heritage Site
The monastery of Geghard is a unique architectural construction in the Kotayk province of Armenia, being partially carved out of the adjacent mountain, surrounded by cliffs. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. While the main chapel was built in 1215, the monastery complex was founded in the 4th century by Gregory the Illuminator at the site of a sacred spring inside a cave. The monastery had thus been originally named Ayrivank, meaning "the Monastery of the Cave". The name commonly used for the monastery today, Geghard, or more fully Geghardavank, meaning "the Monastery of the Spear", originates from the spear which had wounded Jesus at the Crucifixion, allegedly brought to Armenia by Apostle Jude, called here Thaddeus, and stored amongst many other relics. Now it is displayed in the Echmiadzin treasury. The spectacular towering cliffs surrounding the monastery are part of the Azat river gorge, and are included together with the monastery in the World Heritage Site listing. Some of the churches within the monastery complex are entirely dug out of the cliff rocks, others are little more than caves, while others are elaborate structures, with both architecturally complex walled sections and rooms deep inside the cliff. The combination, together with numerous engraved and free-standing khachkars is a unique sight, being one of the most frequented tourist destinations in Armenia.
The Khor Virap is an Armenian Apostolic Church monastery located in the Ararat plain in Armenia, near the border with Turkey, about 8 kilometres south of Artashat, Ararat Province. The monastery was host to a theological seminary and was the residence of Armenian Catholicos. Khor Virap's notability as a monastery and pilgrimage site is attributed to the fact that Grigor Lusavorich, who later became Saint Gregory the Illuminator, was initially imprisoned here for 13 years by King Tiridates III of Armenia. Saint Gregory subsequently became the king's religious mentor, and they led the proselytizing activity in the country. In the year 301, Armenia was the first country in the world to be declared a Christian nation. A chapel was initially built in 642 AD at the site of Kirat Virap by Nerses III the Builder as a mark of veneration to Saint Gregory. Over the centuries, it was repeatedly rebuilt. In 1662, the larger chapel known as the "St. Astvatsatsin" was built around the ruins of the old chapel, the monastery, the refectory and the cells of the monks. Now, regular Church services are held in this church. It is probably the most visited pilgrimage site in Armenia.
Amberd is the name given to the 7th-century Armenian fortress located 2,300 meters above sea level, on the slopes of Mount Aragats at the confluence of the Arkashen and Amberd rivers in the province of Aragatsotn, Armenia. The name translates to "fortress in the clouds" in Armenian. It is also the name incorrectly attributed to Vahramashen Church, the 11th-century Armenian church near the castle. The village of Byurakan is located 4 miles away from the site of Amberd.
Blue Mosque, Yerevan
The Blue Mosque, is a mosque in Yerevan, Armenia. During the Soviet era, because of secularist policy, the Mosque stopped its services and became the Museum of Yerevan. After the independence of Armenia, with the support from Iranian government, the premises again started acting as a Mosque.
Yerevan Opera Theater
Armenian National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet after Alexander Spendiarian in Yerevan was officially opened on 20 January 1933. The building was designed by the Armenian architect Alexander Tamanian. The building consists of two concert halls: Aram Khatchaturian concert hall and the hall of the Alexander Spendiarian Opera and Ballet National Theatre.
The Yerevan Zoo, also known as the Zoological Garden of Yerevan, is a 35-hectare zoo established in 1940 in Yerevan, Armenia.
Victory Park is a city park located in Kanaker-Zeytun district of Yerevan, capital of Armenia. ⁕ Soviet Katyusha rocket launcher ⁕ Soviet S-75 surface-to-air missile
Yerevan History Museum
The Yerevan History Museum is the history museum of Yerevan, the capital city of Armenia. The museum was founded in 1931 as the Communal Museum. Currently, the museum It is located in a building attached to the Yerevan City Hall. The architect of the building was Jim Torosyan.
ARF History Museum
The Armenian Revolutionary Federation History Museum is a museum in Yerevan, Armenia, that displays the history of the ARF and of its notable members. The museum initially opened in 1946 in Paris, France and throughout the years, accumulated as many as 3,000 artifacts. The Museum was inaugurated in Yerevan during an official ceremony on July 13, 2007 at the Kristapor Mikaelian Center. Dashnak leaders such as Hrant Markarian and supporters were present at the opening. Socialist International president Luis Ayala was also present and welcomed the opening of the museum as a historic and important turning point in the ARF’s history. The museum displays government documents, stamps and other artifacts. The first of its exhibits is dedicated to the Democratic Republic of Armenia of 1918 to 1920. It displays official documents presented by Armenia at the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 as well as personal effects from the first republic's prime ministers; Hamo Ohanjanyan, Alexander Khatisyan, Simon Vratsian and Hovhannes Katchaznouni. Personal effects from generals Andranik Ozanyan and Drastamat Kanayan are among the highlights of the exhibit as well. The director of the Genocide Museum and Institute Haik Demoyan has called one of the initial exhibits one of the richest collections from one of Armenia's “most dramatic” historical turning points.